Saturday, July 3, 2010

What My Child is Reading - July 3, 2010



The girl's bunny obsession continued this week, as they made several more trips to see their furry friends.



I was worried it was going to take quite a bit of searching to find good, age appropriate books about rabbits, and hares to answer the questions the girls had about the animals. It turned out, we had had an excellent book, right on our own bookshelf.

Sometime ago, I was talked into signing up for Scholastic's Getting to Know Nature's Children book club. It was one of those times when in order to get the salesman off the phone, I agreed to purchase a membership, figuring I could always cancel it later. In this case, what the salesman neglected to tell me, was that after the first couple of books arrived, the rest would all be sent together - making the return postage ridiculous. So, I bought the set. But, I don't speak to book salesmen anymore.

In this case, though the set isn't what I'd call inexpensive (each volume is only $8.98 including shipping, but there are 28 volumes in the set!), the books are at least worthwhile. Each book is really two in one, so for instance the volume above, contains Rabbits by Merebeth Switzer, and Deer by Laima Dingwall. They are child friendly, but packed with pictures, maps, and facts, aimed at 4-8 year olds, but interesting enough for adults. I have ours stored on a bookshelf in my oldest son's room, and he has read them all, on his own, without prompting.



If you're looking for an animal series for your children, I can recommend this set. You can still purchase it through Early Moments (once Scholastic). They even come with a free T-shirt. (And no, I'm not being paid by Early Moments).

As to our bunnies, we decided from the facts in Switzer's book, they are most likely a mix of Mountain Cottontail, and domestic rabbit.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

For more children's book reviews, and recommendations, check out this week's What My Child Is Reading blog hop, hosted by Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

3 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

That sounds like a series of books that my kids would love. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am making a note to myself - never to be talked into a book club like this, but the books do look gorgeous. I am sure this is a good investment for your family, after all.

Anne said...

Isn't it gratifying when something that was initially a frustration turns out to have a silver lining?