Monday, July 19, 2010

Math Monday - Recognizing Numbers



I realized recently, that although my youngest can count quite high, she is having some trouble recognizing written numbers. Although, I'm quite sure she will learn them eventually, through playing games, and having numbers pointed out to her around the house, and around town, I found a simple activity in Janice Vancleave's Play and Find Out About Math, Easy Activities for Young Children, that I thought she would enjoy, today.

I cut out the numbers 1 to 11 from cereal box cardboard. I would like to have cut more, but I ran out of empty cereal boxes, so I imagine we'll return to this activity again.


Then, I gave the numbers to C, with an assortment of stickers, and asked her to put the correct number of stickers on each number. Her brothers, and sisters were more than happy to help her when she got stuck, since I usually keep the stickers put away.


I also cut out addition, and equal signs, so when we have a bigger set of sticker covered, numbers, they can be used as addition manipulatives.


You can find more fun with simple math, at the Math Monday blog hop, hosted by Joyful Learner.





It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I like this a lot. In the past I have had R stamp numbers on index cards and put the correct number of stickers on each card, but I like the idea of having the actual number cut out. I'm sure we will be doing this soon.

Unknown said...

I love Vancleave's books!

Phyllis said...

That is a very simple, but lovely way of learning numerals and amounts. I do not have any students that little any more, but if I did, I would surely use this activity.

Joyful Learner said...

I love the large numbers and what kid is going to not love stickers? I wonder if you can do this with larger numbers? I would love to review the teens using this method. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

I like this! We have a deck of number cards that also has number dot cards. You have inspired me that maybe we should play number match this afternoon. I know our math for next year suggests these as a maniplative so I am sure we will use them a lot.

Ticia said...

We did something similar to this for a while, but in a grid not on the numbers themselves.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Great way to reinforce math concepts. What kid wouldn't want to use stickers?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I also like the tactile nature of this. I was thinking of making such a set for Anna - more for tracing and addition exercises, but so far I didn't master energy to do so.

Cassie said...

That is a pretty good idea!