Monday, July 5, 2010

Unpeppering Salt - 30 Second Science

This fun science activity is perfect for the dinner table.
It requires:

  • salt
  • pepper
  • a plate (unless you want things to get messy)
  • a straw
  • and a piece of wool (we used our alpaca wool ball, which I'm happy to say is still around).

Mix some salt, and pepper together on the plate.



Rub the straw, up and down, with the wool, about 40 times.


Pass the straw over the salt, and pepper mixture, and watch the pepper jump out of the salt to the straw, and sides of the plate.



When you rub the straw with the wool, it creates an electrical charge on the straw. Both the salt, and pepper are attracted to the charge, but the pepper is lighter, and moves easier.

We found this activity in Lynn Gordon's Super Duper Activity Book. Unlike many of the books we've referenced lately, it is not specifically a science book, but a complete activity book, with more than 120 fun, arts and crafts, games, travel activities, and science experiments.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Fun! My kids would love mixing salt and pepper.

That looks like a fun book.

Debbie said...

Wow! This is interesting!

Unknown said...

Who knew pepper had such a "charge?" :0)

Beth and Abigail said...

THIS IS AWESOME!! I cannot wait to show my 3 year old my "magic" tomorrow. Thanks for sharing it will bring some fun to our vacation.

Unknown said...

That's super cool! Now I've just got to find some wool. Where do you get wool at???

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love all the science experiments you post about. PLEASE keep up the good work. =) I linked you on my facebook page recently too. Hope you had a great 4th!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How interesting - I want to try it myself first :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Terra - You might check your socks, or scarves. We bought alpaca wool, for felting, at a farmer's market, last summer.