Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Twin Lakes, Mt - A Camp Out With Dad

This post is mainly for the grandparents, and maybe a few of my siblings, who have their own Montana, fishing memories, and might enjoy these. But, I'm also going to link it to Debbie's Geography and History blog hop over at Children Grow, Children Explore, Children learn, because this is Montana.


In fact, it's nearly Idaho. On the map below (which I copied from the Montana Chapter of the American Fisheries Society site), of western Montana, you can see Twin Lakes, where the Man of the House took the girls for their camp out, marked with a red X.


All the lakes marked with red X's are known to be home to a native population of lake trout. My girls didn't catch any lake trout...


...just cutthroat...


...and little ones at that...



...nothing big enough for pan frying. They were all thrown back.


You can see from the girls' attire, that it was chilly. That's because Twin Lakes sit at 7200 ft., in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest. It is home to a great deal of wildlife, including these two bucks, who seemed to like to hang out around the campground.



The girls found lots to do, fishing, hiking, watching chipmunks, roasting marshmallows, chopping firewood...


...and playing on a fallen pole pine, which because of the way it landed on a stump, made it a bouncy, balancing beam. How Waldorfy is that?


And, of course I wouldn't want to forget the highlight of the camp out (okay, now I'm being sarcastic)...


...watching Mommy's borax pine cones not burn. They were supposed to burn, and turn the flames green. But obviously, I'll have to chalk that one up to a science project, failure. Still, the lake was beautiful.


I asked the girls if it was really as pretty the pictures, and they said it was prettier. It almost makes me wish I liked to camp.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Thank you for sharing, that does look like a beautiful lake. I loved Montana during the short time I was there! Thank you for linking up this week!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Wow! It does look stunning!! Makes me wish we lived in Montana. :-)

Rebekah said...

It's wonderful to see a new generation of Burch progeny fishing the streams and lakes of beautiful Montana. I have such wonderful memories of days spent on the Bent Fork with my best friend, Carol Fister. Our dads (one of whom was these girls' great-grandfather) would be up stream, our moms down stream at the main camp. There's nothing better than fresh Montana air.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Rebekah - Of course, you meant grandfather, not great-grandfather, but I think Dad would have appreciated these pictures, too :)

Ticia said...

I saw your neck of the woods was getting super cold weather again. It looks like everyone had a blast!

And, the static electricity experiment looks so incredibly fun!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Montana looks picture-perfect. By the way - the outline of the state totally looks like a monster face :)

Butterfly said...

I love all the photos!! Tons of fun!

Thanks for sharing your life through this blog ... I've chosen you for a Beautiful Blogger Award. You can collect it here:

http://chrysalisisland.blogspot.com/2010/07/lovely-surprise.html

Kind regards,
:) Vanessa

Sherri said...

These pictures are priceless! My brother in law is from Montana...and love it...I can see why!!! =)

Marcee said...

OK, Leah, how can you not want to go camping now???? It's beautiful there!!! We should all meet in Idaho somewhere and camp, that would be a hoot. The only part I don't like is being cold. The last place we went camping, no fires were allowed, and it rained! Other than that, way too much fun. By the way, those were some good pictures your kids took, or Daddy, whoever.