Monday, July 12, 2010

Tangram Toast



Want to make a fun, math meal for breakfast? Why not turn boring old toast into a tasty tangram? It's easier than you might think.

Begin with a piece of toast.



Trim it into a square,or as close to a square as you can get. Don't go crazy trying to get it perfect.



Spread the square with peanut butter, cream cheese, or jelly. Anything is fine, but it's easier if it's something thick enough to draw cutting marks into.



Following a tangram pattern (I used one from here), cut the pieces (again its, easier than you might think).

Cut diagonally from the bottom left to top right corner. Or, turn your plate (like I did in the picture below), and cut straight across.



Midway down the top triangle cut a line straight across.



Cut a diagonal line from the bottom right corner, towards the top left corner, but stop at the base of the top triangle.



Cut down from the left corner of the top triangle, to cut the middle piece into a triangle, and square.



Then, cut diagonally off the right top of that square, to make a triangle, and parallelogram.



By this time, your plate will be getting pretty crumb covered, so take a second to switch plates, or tap off the crumbs.

Arrange the tiny shapes into a picture (I used patterns from here).



Add some fruit, and a glass of milk, and you have a nutritious math meal, feeding both body, and brain.

Now, check out Joyful Learner's Math Monday blog hop, for more fun with math.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Why don't I think of cool things like this?

Joyful Learner said...

This is just deliciously brilliant! Everyone should wake up to a tangram breakfast! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, I've read the "It's great to be a homeschooler" so much, it's permanently imprinted in my brain...I had to catch myself saying that after every post I wrote! Ha ha. Very catchy!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Yummy and quite the opposite of "don't play with your food" message :) Anna loves tangrams even though she prefers to build something completely of her own with them.

Cindy said...

That's AWESOME! ;)

nocton4 said...

great fun x

Phyllis said...

Oh, what fun! We have done tangrams, but this would be a lovely fun way of reinforcing them. You are so clever!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

That is way too cool. E is into simple tangrams right now, so we'll have to try this!

Unknown said...

This is brilliant! I've featured this as a text link in the introduction on my Tangrams lens.

Tamsyn Spackman said...

I love it! I'm going to try it. Thank you for sharing this with us!
I linked to it in a text link this morning:
http://www.professional-mothering.com/2011/01/fun-with-tangrams.html