Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ice On A String Trick



Ask your children if they can lift an ice cube out of a glass of water, with a piece of string, without getting their hands wet.

Chances are they won't be able to, but you can show them how.


  1. Lay one end of the string across the ice, and dangle the other over the edge of the glass.

  2. Sprinkle the ice, and string with table salt.

  3. Wait 5 minutes.

  4. Pick up the ice.


The salt lowers the melting point of the ice, and causes it to melt a little. The string sits in the water on top of the ice, and gets frozen to it, as the ice refreezes.

This is one of over 200 simple science experiments using inexpensive items, and materials available in every household, in Margaret Kenda and Phyllis S. Williams' Science Wizardry for Kids - another excellent book of experiments for children.

One of these days, I'm going to do a side by side comparison of all of our favorite children's science books. But in the meantime, you can always find more fun with science at this week's Science Sunday link-up, hosted by Adventures in Mommydom.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is such a spectacular experiment - I can see that even your oldest kids were fascinated. You definitely know how to teach science.

Joyful Learner said...

I have tons of science experiment resource books but it makes more sense for me to come here as you have the best ones! And there's pictures!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Joyful Learner - Thanks! That's a nice compliment :)

Christy Killoran said...

This is a fun one because I know my kids will be amazed by it. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Love your science experiments.We will be doing this very soon. Thank you for sharing!

Pathfinder Mom said...

I wouldn't have figured that one out on my own. Great experiment and reference book. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I remember doing that in school. It's an amazing trick. I've got to get that book!

Mara said...

Oh what a fun experiment! My boys love to do science experiments! I'll add this one in as a fun bonus. Right now we are working on Isaac Newton experiments...come check us out at http://www.homeschoolingtnt.blogspot.com

Darcey said...

You always have some of the neatest science experiments. This one looks like fun! I've linked up to your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-16-2011.html Enjoy what's left of the weekend!

Polwig said...

Great experiment. I think my middle schooler would love it too.