Saturday, July 10, 2010

Swing Set Spirograph Drawing



I received a package in the mail yesterday, that was full of nice sheets of brown packing paper, just begging to be turned into an art project. So, I broke down the box, taped the paper on top of it, and laid it under the swing set.

I had the girls take turns lying on a swing, touching the paper with a marker.

Then, I told them to hold their arms with the markers stiff, while I gave them a gentle circular push.

When the swing stopped moving, I turned the paper a little, gave them a new color, and pushed them again.



It took them a while to get the hang of not moving the marker themselves, but gradually they figured out if they held the markers still, the movement of the swing would help them create a fun, spiral pattern on the paper.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Now, that is a fun way to create art. That would be fun with a dripping paintbrush too! Oh, the possibilities.

Unknown said...

Oh, that is SO fun! Again, you amaze me with your creativity!

Phyllis said...

What a clever idea!

Deborah Stewart said...

This is a terrific way to incorporate play with art. Well done!

Debbie said...

This looks so fun! Selena just learned that she can get on and start swinging all by herself. I bet the kids got dizzy though!

Erin said...

So totally clever! I bet they had a blast! Very creative!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a neat idea! You really manage to incorporate learning into everything you do!

Swing sets Australia said...

You kids must be good at physics and art a result of their creative idea. Nice work.