Thursday, July 29, 2010

Educational Reform

The children, and I didn't do a craft, science, or art project this morning. Instead, while we ate our morning muffins, we watched President Obama's speech on educational reform. In case you missed it, here's what we gathered from it.

  • Teachers need better pay.
  • Teachers need to be held accountable for what their students are learning.
  • We need better tests, to assess what children are learning.
  • Some schools need to be restructured entirely.
  • "No Child Left Behind" was a failure.
  • Parents need to be more involved in their children's education.
  • We need to teach our children to say "Yes, we can!"

Hmm...

It's great to be a homeschooler (and I don't mean that in an arrogant way, it's just nice to be free from some of the same old, same old).

5 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I watched. I'm so tired of politicians and their mumbo jumbo. It's obvious that we (and I saw "we" to mean the people, not necessarily you and I) elected the President because he is a great orator, but I'm tired of talk. DO SOMETHING ALREADY!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I agree that "No Child Left Behind" is a catastrophic failure, but the thought of even more testing (and therefore teaching to the test) scares me. Also all I see is the cuts in the education budgets, fewer teachers and larger school sizes. How do we turn it around?

Ticia said...

So basically, he said the same thing everyone's been saying for the past 20 years. And this is new how?

Evenspor said...

I just love hearing these politicians say, "No Child Left Behind obviously isn't working. So let's try even more government regulaion."

Makes sense to me.

Marilia said...

Yes, parents need to partecipate in their children education. It´s crazy that some parents don´t see this need.