Saturday, July 17, 2010

Homemade Creamsicles - Ice Cream vs. Yogurt

While we were searching around for yummy popsicle ideas, we came across a certain creamsicle recipe a number of times. So, many times in fact, I'm not sure who originated it, but we'd certainly like to thank whoever it was.


Homemade Creamsicles

6 ounces of frozen orange juice concentrate
6 ounces of water
1 pint of vanilla ice cream, or yogurt.

Blend all of the ingredients in a blender. Pour into molds. Insert sticks. Freeze for several hours.

But, we were curious, could yogurt really be as good as ice cream in a frozen creamsicle? Would it make it as creamy? Would it tone down the sourness of the orange juice, enough?

So, we tried it both ways. And, the answer to all of the above is NOPE. Stick with the ice cream. It's worth the extra calories, for what you gain in taste, and texture.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I love creamsicles. Some recipes just require the real thing!

Ticia said...

Good to know.

Phyllis said...

That looks really yummy! {Ice cream is always better than Yogurt :)} I am going to have to try this.

Debbie said...

Sounds like a good recepi but I don't think I could do the yogurt.

Lisa said...

I'm anxious to try this! Thanks for posting!

Joyful Learner said...

Looks yummy! I've only made watermelon popsicles. I really should branch out and try new recipes!

kewkew said...

I love creamsicles, this sounds yummy. We made frozen yogurt popsicles with regular yogurt, but this idea will probably go over quite well.
Just wanted to let you know I have a blog award for you. I invite you to come on over, when you get a chance

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You are a temptress, you :) If I do it, I'll sure go for "a real thing"

Unknown said...

Uh, YEAH! When is ice cream NOT the better choice? ;0)

Sally said...

These would be really good if you just skipped the oj and water. Not as good as ice cream, of course, but really good. We sometimes freeze strawberry or peach yogurt, and both are yummy. Oh wait, not REAL yogurt -- Yoplait! It has way more sugar than real yogurt. No wonder it's so good frozen. :)

Happy Home Fairy said...

Girl, you have so many awesome ideas! The search engines keep bringing me to your site! Featuring these pops tomorrow at Happy Home Fairy!!! Woohoo!