Monday, February 8, 2010

Ice Cream, Ice Cream, We All Scream for...Crochet!


I've been doing a lot of crocheting lately, and thought today, I might practice my knitting. I do pretty well knitting flat pieces, but haven't had much practice at knitting in the round, so I spent some time searching through knitting patterns online, looking for a simple project, that would let me practice the skill.

I came across a pattern at i like lemons, for an absolutely gorgeous set of scooped, and soft serve, ice cream cones. You'll have to click on the link to see just how great they are, because suffice it to say, I still need a lot more practice at knitting in the round.

I was so frustrated with what I ended up with, after an entire morning of knitting, interrupted here and there, by a load of laundry, or random math question, that I unravelled the whole mess, before I remembered to take a picture to share. It was most certainly a craft fail.

I switched instead to a crochet, ice cream cone pattern from Blah, Blah, Blahhhg. With a slight modification to the pattern, and less than a half an hour of work, I had an ice cream cone I was happy with.


After a little more time, and some trial and error, and I even managed a semblance of soft serve ice cream. The pattern at Blah, Blah Blahhhg, comes with instructions for making scooped ice cream, but I had my heart set on soft serve.

Mine ended up somewhat super sized, but the kids didn't seem to mind. I hope to work on a few more tonight - one ice cream cone, and six children, will never do. Once, I'm certain, I have a working pattern down, I'll share it with you too.

That gives all you non-crocheters time to learn the craft. I can promise you it's a lot easier than knitting. It's only been in the last year or two, that I've really crocheted anything, but the single chain stitch, I learned as a girl. I started with Crochet: Learn to Crochet Six Great Projects by Klutz, and then graduated to Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet by Anna Paula Rimoli, with a few simple finger puppets, and the like, in between.

Of course, there are all sorts of learn to crochet sites online, too. Take your pick, grab a hook, and some yarn, and hopefully I'll have a pattern for you sometime this week. That is, if I don't just bag it all, and make a run to Dairy Queen, for some real soft serve instead.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

April Mitchell said...

That is super cute! It has so many play time possibilities. I cannot crochet to save my life...but I tat really well. Maybe I should pick up some children crochet kits and work from there. All the stitches confuse me. I do love seeing other crochet work though, its so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!