Tuesday, February 23, 2010

March Lion and Lamb Craft

The groundhog might not have seen his shadow, but March looks like it might come in like a lamb, leaving us with some lionish weather yet to come (at least, if you buy into the folklore). This time of year it's difficult to tell, though. Just because this week's weather has been beautiful, doesn't necessarily mean it will hold through next week. Either way, we're ready, with an adaption of Kathy Ross' changing seasons, tree, puppet craft, which we did last fall.

My pictures are pretty dark tonight, I'm sorry, my light was worse than I thought. But, you can click back to our fall craft, if you need clearer instruction.

Before I brought the girls in, I made the base of the puppets, by cutting one black, construction paper circle, using a salad plate as a guide, and one and a half orange circles.

I stapled the orange, half circle to the black circle.


Then, I cut a slit in the orange circle, horizontally, across the center, big enough for the width of the girls' hands.


With the half circle at the top of the black circle, I placed the orange circle on top of it, and then stapled the bottom half of the orange circle, to the bottom half of the black circle.


For my younger daughter, I added ears, and a face, in white crayon on the black, and in black crayon on the orange.



My 5 year old drew her own faces.


Then, the girls glued strips of brown construction paper around the orange circle, for the lion's mane.


And, they glued cotton balls around the face of the sheep.


Once, the glue was dry, the girls were ready to make some weather predictions of their own.

Lamb:


Lion:


Lamb:


Lion:


They seemed pretty serious, but I'm getting a mixed message.

In case you're wondering about the origin of the phrase, "In like a lion, out like a lamb", click here, for a fascinating cartoon explanation by Jack Horkheimer. I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it's the best theory I've come across so far.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LO-O-O-VE this! (This was said in my best Ms. Frizzle sing-songy voice...)

Ticia said...

Hee hee! Way too cute, and now to check out the cartoon, because I'm not remembering it at all.

Julie said...

What a great project! Very cute!

I have an award for you on my blog:
http://bookretreat.blogspot.com/2010/02/awards-honest-scrap-and-prolific.html

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Fascinating - I think I've heard the phrase before, but I never knew where it came from. The craft is really neat, and I like how you modified it for the youngest.

Debbie said...

Those are so cute!

I believe we are going to have a March that will come in like a lamb, I don't know about leaving like a lion...we've had such a mild winter that I wouldn't be surprised if we just don't continue to move right into Spring, in fact our pollen count is way high especially for this time of year!

Z-Kids said...

Love the sideways glace at the end there :)