Thursday, February 18, 2010

stART - Dinosaur Roar!


We read Dinosaur Roar! by Paul and Henrietta Stickland for our stART project, today. stART is a story and art link up, hosted by A Mommy's Adventures. I chose Dinosaur Roar!, because it complimented Sneed B. Collard III's B is for Big Sky Country, that we read earlier in the week, where "D" is for Duck-billed Dinosaurs, and because I love the Stickland's colorfully illustrated dinosaurs.

(Thanks to whoever it was who mentioned the Stickland books, just last week, I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but I skipped right from their site to the library catalogue, to put this book on hold.)

I gave the children dinosaur play mats, printed from SparkleBox, and covered in contact paper. I suggested they try making some colorful dinosaurs with play dough. And, just in case you're wondering, we used the cooked play dough I made yesterday, and it was still fresh, firm, and nicely textured - not slimy at all. I'll add a note to yesterday's post after a week or so, and let you know if it continues to keep.

The little ones were mainly only interested in covering their dinosaurs in single colors.


But, I had a great time demonstrating to them the possibilities.


For more fun, story stretching, arts and crafts projects, be sure to visit this week's stART link up, at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

12 comments:

Ticia said...

Those turned out so cute. My reader is acting up and is randomly not showing all my blogs, so I have a couple of posts to check out from you. Off to look at play dough.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What an awesome story stretcher - and I am glad that your playdoh worked out well. I so need to print out some of those playdoh mats, especially since I have oodles of contact paper now. Thanks for this idea and the link!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

What a neat idea! We've never used placemats and playdough together in that way but it looks fun! Thanks for the idea.

Mama to 5 said...

What a cute idea!

Rebecca said...

What a neat idea! Their dinosaurs came out so cute.

Jamie said...

Hi, found you from Adventures in Mommydom. Your blogs is great. Signed up to follow. I can't wait to read more.

Unknown said...

What a "roaring" good time!

Stacy said...

Thank you so much for the awesome link to those dinosaur printables....my daughter LOVES dinosaurs, so I think we'll be trying some of these out soon!

Brandie said...

I am DIEING to make my own jam...and this looks so easy! Thanks for sharing!

Brandie said...

okay, so that comment was for the Jam post...but I love the dinosaur art project!

melaniet42 said...

That is a wonderful idea! I can just see all the possibilities for this project! Keep us posted on the playdoh!

Brimful Curiosities said...

That is a great, short and sweet Dinosaur story. And your project does look like a lot of fun. I'd use colors, too!