Tuesday, February 23, 2010

More Timeline Fun - American History

I was looking through my sticker stash this morning, to see if I could find a moon sticker, to mark the first moon landing on our timeline. I didn't find a moon, but I did find a set of 50 state stickers, pulled out of a promotional mailing from Highlights' Which Way USA book club. I didn't subscribe to the book club, because in the past, although I really thought their Top Secret Adventures were a wonderful way to study world geography, it was like pulling teeth to get the kids to do them, so I veer away from those now.

But, I saved the stickers, that came with the ad, and it was a good thing too, because when combined with the information from Loreen Leedy's Celebrate the 50 States!, they were perfect for our timeline. As, I mentioned before, when we had a more spacious timeline, just for American history, we had space to fit a cutout of each state's shape on the timeline according to when it became a state.

With only a 1/4 inch per year on our world history timeline, we'd have to cut out some pretty tiny states, to make them fit, especially with the American presidents hogging so much space. But, the stickers worked nicely.


One of the older girls looked up the states in Leedy's book, and called out the year it became a state, while her sister put them on the timeline.


I did a few with the younger children, too. They helped by peeling the stickers off for me, and then perused the state pages, while I stuck them up.

I'm glad to have the states represented on our timeline again. It gives a nice feel to how our country came together.

So, the moral of this story (or is it the point of the post?), is timelines are a terrific way to bring coherency to your home studies, especially if you are pursuing an eclectic, or unschooling style. And also - always, always save your stickers!


It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am with you on saving the stickers and on timelines. Of course, it's too early for us, but my husband and I just talked yesterday about how history was taught in our schools and why both of us didn't like the subject. There was nothing that would tie all the events together. Timelines can be valuable in making history more real, I think.

Debbie said...

I love time lines! They are a wonderful way to bring things into perspective. I know that is the approach I am leaning towards when Selena is ready for that type of history!

Ticia said...

I love everything in your post. I love stickers and save all of them. I love timelines, and probably am going to start one with mine next year. Or whenever we start our history study.