Sunday, February 14, 2010

Soft Serve Ice Cream Crochet Pattern


I've had some time to fiddle around with crocheting soft serve ice cream to top the cone pattern I found at Blah, Blah, Blahhhg, and I think I'm finally happy enough to share my pattern with you. Mind you, I'm using pattern in a fairly loose sense of the word - I'm too new to crochet myself, to write a proper pattern, but I'll do my best to give you the instructions in a way I hope will make sense.

First of all, for the cone:


Using a size F hook, I followed rounds 1-12 of Blah, Blah Blahg's pattern, except that I used a piece of toilet paper roll inside of the cone, instead of a plastic cup, and I made the modifications noted below.

Rnd 13: Chain 3. Working in the back loop only, *double crochet twice in the next st, dc in the next 5 sts, repeat from * (28 sts) Join the round with a slip stich

Rnd 14: Chain 3. Dc in every st (both loops), join the round with a slip st.

Rnd 15: Slip stich through the front loops of all sts. Tie off, and weave the end into the inside of the cone.

For the Ice Cream:

Attach white yarn (or pink, or brown, depending on the flavor you're imitating) inside the cone, one row down from the top. Stuff as you go.

Rnd 1: Sc in back loop of all 28 sts. Do not join the round.

Rnd 2: *Sc twice in the next st, then sc in the next 6 sts, repeat from * (32 sts)

Rnd 3: *Sc twice in the next st, then sc in the next 7 sts, repeat from * (36 sts)

Rnd 4: Sc in every st (36 sts)

Rnd 5: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 7 sts, repeat from * (32 sts)

Rnd 6: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 6 sts, repeat from* (28 sts)

Rnd 7: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 5 sts, repeat from * (24 sts)

Rnd 8: In inside loops only *sc two sts together, then sc in the next 4 sts, repeat from * (20 sts)

Rnd 9: In both loops again *sc twice in the next st, then sc in the next 4 sts, repeat from * (24 sts)

Rnd 10 : *Sc twice in next st, then sc in the next 5 sts, repeat from * (28 sts)

Rnd 11: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 5 sts, repeat from * (24 sts)

Rnd 12: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 4 sts, repeat from * (20 sts)

Rnd 13: In inside loops only *sc two sts together, then sc in the next 3 sts, repeat from * (16 sts)

Rnd 14: In both loops again *Sc twice in the next st, then sc in the next 3 sts, repeat from * (20 sts)

Rnd 15 - 16: Sc in all sts (20 sts)

Rnd 17: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 3 sts, repeat from * (16 sts)

Rnd 18: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next 2 sts, repeat from * (12 sts)

Rnd 19: *Sc two sts together, then sc in the next st, repeat from * (8 sts)

Rnd 20: Sc in all sts (8 sts)

Rnd 21: *Sc two sts together, repeat from * (4 sts)

Rnd 22 - 24: Sc in all sts (4 sts)

Rnd 25: *Sc two sts together, repeat from * (2 sts)

Rnd 26: Sc two together, tie off, and tuck the end into the top of the ice cream.

If you use a medium worsted weight yarn (like I did for the vanilla ice cream), you'll end up with a cone standing about 10'' tall. If you use a baby weight yarn (like I did for the strawberry ice cream), you'll end up with a cone about 6'' tall. I used medium worsted weight yarn on all of my cones.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern! I am very much a novice at crochet, but I think I could handle this one - and GoGoGirl would LOVE some ice cream cones for her play kitchen. :)