Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Button Box - Story + ART





I was thrilled to find The Button Box by Margarett S. Reid, available at our local library, this week. It's a simple story about a young boy, and the fun he has sorting through the buttons in his grandmother's button box. Most of our buttons came from my mother's button box, so the children connected with this story right away. The little boy even ends up playing with a button spinner!


Just like in the story, we swirled our buttons, and sorted them, imaging what sort of clothing, or uniforms they might have come from.


As we sorted through the buttons, I asked the children if they could draw pictures of outfits, the buttons would match.





For more button crafts and ideas, check out:

And, for more story stretching, kid's arts and crafts, in general, check out this weeks stART (story+ ART) link up, at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

OK- the spinners, the cookies, the book, the button box, and the drawings- GIRL, you ROCK with the integrated units!

Mama to 5 said...

What a cute book! We love buttons in our home & use them in all sorts of crafts & activities! Great job! :)

sbswtp said...

Love the drawing :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I totally need to find this book, and I love the cute pictures your children came up with. And thanks for linking to my blog :)

April said...

What a creative project. They really had to use their imaginations for this one!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

I agree, this is a fantastic way to get those imaginations turning about where the buttons may have come from. I love this project idea!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I always loved making those button spinners but had forgotten about them. I'll have to see if my oldest can operate one.

Michelle said...

I love this, I have lots off buttons from my Great Grandmothers button collection!

Thanks for linking up :0)