Saturday, February 6, 2010

Spiral Snowman Cutting Craft


Since, the groundhogs are predicting an early spring around here, I thought we better hurry up, and get to a few last winter crafts, like the funny spiral snowman craft we found, while looking for ideas for this month's Unplugged Project.

My youngest two have been in perpetual craft mode, and are always wanting something to cut, and glue. Cutting a spiral was too big a challenge for my three year old, of course, but was great practice for her five year old sister. The link above, has a printable template for the spiral snowman, which they suggest printing on card stock. I just went ahead and freehanded it, on typing paper, so it would be easier for little hands to cut, even though it meant slightly droopier snowmen.

After we cut the spirals, the girls drew on faces in the middle, and glued on construction paper hats, and noses. I cut the hats for them, with the top of the hat on a fold, so there was a hat on both sides, with the head in the middle. Then, I bent the heads forward, and they drew, and glued, matching faces on the back.

Finally, they glued on construction paper arms.


And, I punched a hole in the top of the hats, and threaded through some string for hanging.
Once the spirals are cut, the craft goes together pretty quickly. They make for an interesting display too, looking something like a cross between a snowman and an icicle, twirling above the table.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Susie said...

That looks like a great project!!

Stacy said...

This looks like such a great craft!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Oh, I really, really like this! We are far from spring here, so I'll try to do this with my little one here sometime this winter. Thanks for the inspiration - such cute pictures!

Debbie said...

Oh these look so cute! I will have to remember this when Selena gets a little better with her cutting skills.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute! I see that you found some great idea for Spiral theme on Unplug Your Kids. I am still undecided on whether we participate - spirals are a little advanced for my 3 year old.

Trudie said...

You always have the most awesome ideas, always practical, creative and a fun way for kiddies to learn. Thank you for sharing!

Daniel Morton said...

I should have chose your spiral project, I have been working more than 30 years on mine.
http://my4spiral.com
All things are possible with patience and tenacity, Daniel Morton

Mindy said...

These are adorable! You make school look so fun.