Monday, February 15, 2010

Strawberry Scones with Strawberry Curd and Mock Clotted Cream


It's been a busy evening of baking, and blending goodies for our strawberry tea party tomorrow. My kitchen has been destroyed, but it smells like some kind of strawberry heaven.

On the menu are Family Fun inspired Strawberry Scones - I pureed half the strawberries, and increased the baking time by about 8 minutes, Strawberry Curd - adapted from it's lemony cousin (see the recipe below), and Mock Clotted Cream - I'm not sure I'd serve it to the English lady down the street, but by our American standards, it's not too bad. Combined together, with a couple of fresh strawberries, thrown in for good measure, it's as close to a tea house treat, as anything we're likely to taste in our corner of the world.

Strawberry Curd:

  • 1 and 1/2 cups of fresh, or frozen, pureed strawberries
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium sauce pan. Whisk, continually, over low heat, until mixture begins to thicken. It will take about 5 minutes - do not let it boil. Remove it from the heat, and allow to cool, then cover, and refrigerate it - though, I like it warm.

For the Mock Clotted Cream, I used this recipe, from allrecipes.com, which called for whipping 1 cup of heavy cream, until stiff...


...and then stirring in 1/3 cup of sour cream, and one tablespoon of powdered sugar.

It has a looser consistency than actual clotted cream, but it compliments a scone, nicely.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Penniless Parenting said...

Hi. I don't think I've ever left a comment on your blog before, but I really do enjoy what you have to say.

I nominated you for the Sunshine Award over at my blog and the post will be up a little later today (by the time anyone in the US will be a wake, most likely).

www.PennilessParenting.com

Unknown said...

OK, WHY wasn't I invited to this tea party- it looks fab!

Marcee said...

Wow, congrats on the "Sunshine Award" I read Penniless Parenting also! Looks great Leah, are we celebrating a B-day?

I wish you were on Facebook, then you could check out my new sink that Rod put in.

Just Jenn said...

Yum! ;) since I find yummy recipes daily now... this is going to go on my one day list! ;)
Just Jenn~