Saturday, February 20, 2010

What My Child is Reading - February 20, 2010




I've already posted about several of the books we read this read this week:

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, that we read with our snack of bread and homemade microwave jam. I also found a very nice teacher's guide for this book, here, that explores badgers, nutrition, as well as making bread and jam. I'm not sure whether we'll follow through with it or not though, this is one of my favorite children's books, I might just like to leave it as a special book for story time.


Dinosaur Roar! by Paul Stickland, which we read for our stART project, using the homemade cooked play dough, is a simple, colorfully illustrated, board book about opposites. (I checked the play dough this morning too, and it is still in good shape!)

And, B is for Big Sky Country, A Montana Alphabet by Sneed B. Collard III, which I praised in my post about Sleeping Bear Press. Several more state books in the series arrived in at the library yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to read them to the children yet, because my twelve year old snatched them, to read himself. That is high praise for any series.

We also had one more Loreen Leedy book straggle in at the library - Celebrate the 50 States!, arriving at a perfect time, with the books above.


It is another one of her books directed at older children, but which the younger children ended up enjoying too. It is not so much a story book, as it is a reference book. Each page holds two states, so four are together, when the book is open, all with little pictures, and facts scattered across them. There are also trivia questions, like "What is a glacier made of?", throughout the book, with the answers listed at the back.

All the images above, were taken from the Montana public libraries' shared catalogue.

To find out what others are reading check out this week's What My Child Is Reading link up, at Mouse Learns, Mouse Grows.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Great book choices. Have a wonderful weekend.

Debbie said...

We enjoyed Dinosaur Roar. I am going to look for Celebrate the 50 States!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Bread and Jam for Frances is one of my all time favorite books. So many memories! Great choices.

Ticia said...

YOu know I might have a copy of Celebrate 50 States, or at least the cover looks familiar. I'll have to see if I can find it.
I love that your 12 year old scarfed up the books. That is so cool.

Julie said...

I'm going to check out those state books since my kids are so into geography and states now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Looks like you had a great reading weeks with kids of different ages enjoying the same books. I tried "Hello Kitty USA" with Anna - it's based on the same principle, but she found it very boring. She is very much of a story person, and she doesn't like fact-based books at this point.