Saturday, February 20, 2010

Astronaut Food From The Grocery Store


We're going to watch Apollo 13, for our family movie tonight, and of course, I didn't plan far enough ahead to have any astronaut ice cream on hand for the kids. But, I've got to tell you, I'm as pleased as punch (or an orange flavored powdered drink) over my supermarket coup for our after movie snack.

A quick click to YouTube, for some retro commercials here, and here, and a visit to the FoodNetwork for a video on a freeze drying plant in Oregon, and we're ready to eat like the astronauts.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Houston, we have a problem...

Kim said...

They still sell Tang? I had no idea! I used to love that stuff! Looks like a fun night ahead. Enjoy!

Ticia said...

Oh man, I drank Tang all the time as a kid.
I never thought of using that baby food as an example of astronaut food.
If you want to look more at dehydration check out "How That'd Get on My Plate" episode about apples. It does a great bit about dehydration.

Val in the Rose Garden said...

That's great! I may have to borrow that idea. :) The nights have been crazy clear around here lately, it would be a good Apollo 13 night sometimes soon.

Blessings,

Val

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Fascinating! I am sure it will be a great lesson.