Monday, April 19, 2010

Music Note Pinatas


It's birthday time in our house again. Which means, it's time for another pinata. This time though, I decided to do something different, and make individual pinatas, the children can smash open, or tear apart, themselves. Our theme is music, so I made pinatas to that resemble musical notes (to the tune of "Happy Birthday").

The process was pretty much the same as for the teapot pinata I made for our last birthday party, except that I used six small balloons (water balloons blown up with air), instead of one larger one.

I covered the balloons with strips of newspaper, dipped in watered down glue, leaving the tops of the balloons showing.




After the newspaper had overnight to dry, I repeated the step, but with strips of white paper.


Once the white paper was dry, I removed the balloons.


Then, I added the candy, and glued squares of paper over the openings, being careful not to get any glue inside the pinatas.



I taped on rolled up pieces of paper to make the stems of the notes.



Finally, I painted on more glue, and little by little added black crepe paper for decoration, allowing time for each side to dry, before doing the other, so the crepe paper wouldn't get stuck to the paper I placed it on to dry.



When the notes were completely covered, and dry, I added some stick on Velcro, so I could attach them to a music sheet I'd drawn on typing paper, and thumb tacked to the wall.


I used Velcro, so the children will be able to remove the pinatas from the wall, when it's time to break them open. In the meantime, they'll serve as a party decoration.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go bake a cake.
It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Ticia said...

And i"m sure the cake will be delicious! Those look fun!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Oh, have fun with the cake! I am loving these pinatas!! You are so clever!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

My God - where do you find time to do all this??? You are a true super Mom.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Natalie - The children are very good at making sure I don't forget to make time for birthday prep :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Valerie - I take that as high praise from you!

Debbie said...

I just love everything you come up with. I bet your birthday party will be a lot of fun!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Debbie - Thanks, that's really sweet!

Harlan Family said...

This is such a great idea. I love it!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, this is so creative, I love it! Thanks so much for thinking of me, I'll be linking.

Unknown said...

OK- SERIOUSLY- How did I miss this post? What a GREAT idea!!!