Saturday, April 24, 2010

What My Child is Reading - April 24, 2010

We had another hodgepodge week of reading, with no theme at all. We have about 40 books out, from the library right now, which is a few more than I like to keep track of. I think we'll be doing some marathon reading today, so we can return the bulk of the books, before the next batch arrives in at the library.





We checked out Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy by David Soman and Jacky Davis, after our ladybug sighting. A fun book, about cooperation, and getting along with playmates, it reminded me of the Fancy Nancy books, but without all the big words. I love how the mothers in these books are are plain, and simple, with oversized shirts, rolled up sleeves, and their hair pulled back in clips, while their little girls are all frilly dilly.


We enjoyed Jeremy Tankard's Boo Hoo Bird, almost as much as his Grumpy Bird. As you might gather from the title, and the cover art, Bird is hurt in this story, and it's up to his friends to help him feel better.


I checked out Carla Morris' The Boy who was Raised by Librarians, after reading on Little Page Turners, that the setting for the story is the Livingston library. There is more than one Livingston in the country, but Brian Sneed's illustration of the library, on the title page, looks very much like the library in Livingston, MT. And, if the librarians there are even half as wonderful, as the librarians in the book (not to say the ones in our town aren't sweet), we're going to have to make a visit there sometime this summer.


We had our first spring thunderstorm, this week, and I was ready with a couple of books to read to the younger children, while things were cracking, and booming outside. I thought Barbara Helen Berger's Thunder Bunny would be good, because of the soothing pastel palette of the illustrations, which use a very interesting torn paper technique, too. But, the story has a strange, New Age sort of ending, that was uncomfortable for me, and confusing to the children.



Finally, the older children enjoyed listening to Betty MacDonald's Mrs. Piggle Wiggle so much, that they've been taking turns reading Hello, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, another book in the series, on their own. The girls were particularly keen to have there older brother read the chapter on Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's bully cure, and he, in turn, suggested they read the chapter on the cry baby cure. It's made for some interesting dinner time discussion.

To find more reviews, and recommendation of children's books, check out this week's What My Child Is Reading link up, at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

It's great to be a homeschooler.



7 comments:

Debbie said...

I am going to have to look into most of the books here. The Lady Bug book sounds cute.

Pathfinder Mom said...

We had Mrs. Piggle Wiggle this week, but it went back to the library unread due to time. We're struggling a bit with books that we can't read in one sitting.

Amanda said...

That 1st book goes perfect with the footprint bee and ladybug art I made awhile back... I'm going to add this post to it!

Jenny said...

I loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. I tried to read that one to Abby a few months back, but she wasn't interested.

I want to know how that Thunder Bunny book ends, email me the ending :)

Fairion said...

We love Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy Be on the look out she has more adventures. I love that even though she is "girly" she still plays hard.

Thanks for the recommendations. We will be checking out The Boy who was Raised by Librarians and Mrs Piggle Wiggle

Ticia said...

I could have sworn I'd commented..... What a slew of cute books, the first two look especially cute.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - You did comment, and I'm sure I posted it - do you suppose blogger ate it?