Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Guitar Birthday Cake (or maybe it's a Ukulele)


Here are some scenes from this morning's cake decorating. I changed plans at the last minute, yesterday evening, after the cake was already baking. I was planning on making some sort of piano cake, but then I saw this guitar cake, on the Kraft Foods site, and decided the birthday girl might like it better. If I had picked this cake ahead, I would have bought licorice ropes for the strings. That, would have resulted in straighter strings, and an easier frosting job - but other than that, this cake was a breeze to put together.

Start with a 9x13 sheet cake.

Enlarge the template from Kraft Foods, and use it as a guide for cutting the cake.


Because of all of the cut edges, it's a good idea to cover the cake, and put it in the freezer for a few hours, to make it easier to frost.



I used one over sized can of frosting (I know, I know, homemade is better, and more cost effective, but this time I was all about the short cuts), and a few drops of neon food coloring.


Using wax paper strips under the cake, while frosting, helps keep the serving tray clean (a tip from Martha Stewart!).




The strings, as I said, can be black frosting, or licorice ropes. I'd definitely suggest licorice. And, the final touches are marshmallows.

Happily, my children are not all that critical when it comes to my cake creations. Though, they did object to my calling this a guitar - they felt it's size, made it a ukulele.


It's great to be a homeschooler. Especially, when birthdays are accepted homeschool holidays!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Makes me want to sing...

"Tiny bubbles..."

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow - this looks awesome. The birthday girl is lucky to have such a creative mom.

Ticia said...

Looks yummy, we always have fights on what type of cake to make here.
And, you're welcome for getting yet another VeggieTales song stuck in your head.

Debbie said...

Great looking cake!

Brimful Curiosities said...

That turned out so cute! Looks perfect. My mom would appreciate the cake...she loves decorating fancy ones.

sleeplessnights04 said...

very cool!