Friday, April 16, 2010

Bogbeast Butterfly Cookies

I thought I'd direct the children's interest in butterflies into a science lesson, by having them watch another episode of The Magic School Bus - The Butterfly and The Bogbeast (which you can view online, here).

Of course, we needed some cookies to snack on, during the show.


We don't have a butterfly cookie cutter, so I went back to the girls' idea of heart shaped wings. Well, first, I made a batch of sugar cookie dough, divided out about 1/4 of it to color green, and colored the rest a mottled pink (by adding several drops of red food coloring, and mixing it only part way). I rolled out the pink dough, and cut out the hearts, with a small, heart shaped cookie cutter.


I used two hearts for each butterfly (part of the girls' problem, yesterday was that, they were only using one heart), pressing the pointy ends together in the middle.




Then, I rolled a small bit of the green dough, into a wormish shape, for the bodies.



And, because the Magic School Bus episode is all about how butterflies use their coloring as defensive camouflage, and offensively to frighten away potential predators, I added some M&M eye spots, on the wings.


Which might work to keep butterflies safe, but did nothing to save the cookies.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Ticia said...

yum, I usually leave my dough mottled as well, I claim it's because I like the effect, which I do, but I'm also lazy to get that final little bit smoothed out.

Unknown said...

Yup- those "eyes" wouldn't keep the cookies safe in our home either...

Debbie said...

Those turned out so cute and look so yummy!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - You're so on to me - LOL

Bobbi & Noe said...

Those cookies really brigthened my day! It's not like I've never seen cookies before, but for some reason...I had to come by and see them right away! Super cute!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Bobbi - Thanks! It's always nice to brighten someone's day :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Yum-yum - I always like how cookies follow science lessons in your house :)

Anonymous said...

Great Job making butterfly cookies! Thanks so much for stopping in at
http://www.babasfarmlife.com/

Phyllis said...

I like the way you used a heart-shaped cookie cutter for the wings!