Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Whopper of a Cake


We enjoyed Will Hillenbrand's illustrations from The Moon Might Be Milk so well, I did a quick library search, and reserved some of the other books he's illustrated. Whopper Cake by Karma Wilson, was the first to arrive in.

We were not disappointed. The illustrations are lively, and exciting, as is the story of what happens when it's, "Grandma's birthday, and Granddad has an itchin' to bake a whopper chocolate cake, and traumatize the kitchen."

This is another book with a recipe at the back, so the girls had a chance for some traumatizing of their own - not so much of the kitchen, but more of their daddy, who was home for lunch when they started mixing (Note to self: messy projects are best done while the man of the house is at work. I mean really, what's the harm of an egg, or two rolling off the table? They didn't even crack! Though, I will admit the chocolate splatter from the mixer, might have been excessive).

I convinced them, that the back of their father's truck was probably not clean enough to use as a mixing bowl, like Granddad in the story. Beside which, the day wasn't nearly bright, and hot enough to cook a giant cake outside. Instead, they had to settle for doubling the recipe, using our very biggest mixing bowl, and all my ready cake pans.


Don't ask me why I have three round cake pans, and only one square one - I really don't know.


It worked out for the best, though, as I had to trim the corners off the square cake, before they frosted it with the others, and so got a nibble, and can assure you the recipe is quite good.

Their cake turned out lopsided. But, with four tall layers, there's no denying it's a whopper of a cake. I think a big piece for dessert tonight, might even return their father's blood pressure to normal - at least, now that the dishes are all done, and the chocolate has been washed off the walls, floor, and curtains.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I can see that everyone is rebounded from the flu, since baking is restarted :) The cake looks awesome even if it's a little lopsided. Your comment about messy projects absolutely applies in our house too.

Butterfly said...

I can imagine most kids would get a huge thrill out of doing this. Lucky you have a big family to eat that BIG cake!!

This reminds me of kids TV cooking shows, where a crew can clean up after you use the blender without a lid. If only!

:) Vanessa

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Wow! That sure is one whopper of a cake!

Debbie said...

The cake looks so yummy even with being a little lopsided. I don't know of any of us who hasn't ended up with a lopsided cake at one point or two in our lives.

I couldn't help but chuckle over your husband's reaction. That sounds like my husband.

Unknown said...

That is a whopper of a cake. Looks like it would taste really good too.
Blessings
Diane

Kez said...

That cake certainly lives up to its name :)

Evenspor said...

Doesn't everyone have three round cake pans and one square one?

This book sounds like a must have.

Ticia said...

Absolutely, no messy projects when Dad is home, blood pressure gets too high.
I've actually used the slopes on one or two of my cakes in the decorations, you like it's the slop of the mountain or something.

Ticia said...

I keep intending to get a butterfly garden for my kids to try, but haven't yet.
Oh, do the Tea Shop murders need to be read in order? Our library starts at 8.

Christy Killoran said...

Had to check this out. No messy projects when Dad is home here either - glad that seems to be the norm, but why are men so afraid of a little mess?