Saturday, April 3, 2010

What My Child is Reading - April 3, 2010




Our Easter reading, this week, consisted mainly of the biblical text. The events are spelled out pretty clearly there, and are about as easy for children to grasp, as the available, "for children" versions. Death, sacrifice, and resurrection are complicated subjects for young children, no matter how you package them.

Of course, my three year old spent most of the week insisting there needed to be a princess in the story. I guess any story with a king, must also have a princess. I told her she was the princess, but she decided the people probably killed the princess, too. And, she's been mad, that we don't have a princess figure for our nativity/resurrection scene.








We did get to three story books, though. I've already mentioned Liz Curtis Higgs The Parable of the Lily. I appreciate it, because it's a parable, and not a legend, so while it uses the lily to describe the gift of Easter, it doesn't assign it any special value, or try to place it in the original events.
And, we pulled out our Easter themed Arch Books. You really can't go wrong with Arch Books, when it comes to retelling Bible stories. Occasionally, the rhymes are a little forced, but generally, these books are excellent, and they cover almost any biblical topic you could want.

The big hits of our non-Easter related reading were Lisa Shulman's The Moon Might Be Milk, which we read for our stART project this week (and yes, to anyone who didn't notice my note in the comments of that post - the cookies were very good), and Fool Moon Rising, by Kristi and T. Lively Fluharty.




This is one I'm thinking about purchasing for our home library. It's an excellent lesson in false pride verses humility (with the Bible verses to back it), and the illustrations are out of this world, adorable.

Find out what other's are reading at the What My Child Is Reading link up, hosted at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Ticia said...

I think I've found a few of the Arch books randomly at Half Price books, and you're right they're always good.
I'm going to be on the lookout for Parable of the Lily at the after Easter sales.

Debbie said...

I wanted Easter Books this year, but by the time we got to the library they were all checked out.

I have a gift for you at my blog, it is time sensitive. Happy Easter!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining and sorry that the stomach bug is visiting you right at Easter. I really took it easier with Easter reading that I planned, but I agree with your conclusion on how well young kids are able to "digest" this story. I still want to look for the Moon Might Be Milk.