Thursday, April 1, 2010

Knitting Nell a Book to Inspire Action

I love books, that inspire action (okay, I love most books, but I really love books, that inspire action!). Knitting Nell, by Julie Jersild Roth, is just such a book.

I picked it up at the library, after seeing it in the side bar of another blog. I can't remember which blog, but if you have it in your sidebar - thanks! I flipped through it briefly, noting it was a story about a little girl who knits a lot, not just for herself, but for others, too. The story ends with Nell, earning a prize for her knitting, at the county fair, and receiving an award for community service.

There's more to the story than that. It's also about friendship, finding your place, interpersonal relationships, and not only serving, but inspiring others, too. Pretty good for a 30 page, children's picture book. And, that's what I picked up from skimming through it.

I didn't get to read it until later. It disappeared into the girls' room, shortly after we returned from the library, resurfacing later in the day...along with my favorite pair of knitting needles.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a neat photo, and it sounds like a great book. I am hoping to relearn knitting one day - I could do it when I was a teenager, but I didn't knit in more than 20 years now :)

Debbie said...

That is such a sweet picture of your daughter knitting! I so want to get back into knitting myself, but will wait until Selena is a little older. She would probably run away with my needles. LOL

Ticia said...

I have knitted a total of 3 rows for something. I don't even know what the project was.
But, what a truly wonderful picture of your daughter.