Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Turn Off The Light Signs - A Fancy Nancy Earth Day Craft


We're out to save the planet, or at least a little electricity, with the help of a Fancy Nancy inspired Earth Day craft.

In Jane O'Connor's Fancy Nancy: Every Day Is Earth Day, Nancy becomes very enthusiastic about being green - too enthusiastic for her family's comfort. Together, they find ways they can take care of the planet, while still living, comfortably in it - like turning off the lights in empty rooms. That's a problem area in our house.

To help the children remember to turn their lights off, when they leave their rooms, I thought they could make reminder signs, to hang from their light switches.


I drew the signs on the back of an unfolded cereal box (we love recycling cereal boxes!), and cut them out for the girls to "fancy" up.


My initial thought was they could trace out the words with markers, and then add some fancy touches with Elmer's 3D Washable Paint Pens (I picked them up by mistake this weekend, thinking I was grabbing more glitter glue). Of course, once the girls saw the paint pens, they lost all interest in markers, and traced the words in paint instead.

The pens handle pretty well, and even my youngest (age 3) managed with to trace most of the letters legibly. The signs are blobbier than I had planned, but the girls love them.


Once, the paint dried, I punched holes in the top corners, and tied on ribbons for hanging.


We're feeling greener already.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

How neat! I think it's a great idea and they turned out very cute!

Ticia said...

my kids so need to learn that......

Debbie said...

What a cute idea! So far we've been pretty lucky Selena loves the fact she can turn the lights off and often reminds us to turn them off, even when we need them on.

Set Apart Living Mama said...

I'm your newest follower! My cousin had told me about unschooling and I really want to do it! This is a great project that you had the kids do. I'll be doing it as soon as hubby finishes the cereal!

Me and Mine in a Small Town

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Glenda09 - Welcome!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I like how your signs turned out. Our lights are a bit high for Anna, but at least I try to be a lot more mindful of the lights nowadays.

Butterfly said...

Love it!

Jasmine is thrilled she can finally she can reach our light switches (as of a month ago), so we may be needing these reminders too ;-)

Set Apart Living Mama said...

We did this today! My son was so happy! This was our first project and he loved it!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Gleda09 - That's so cool!