Saturday, April 17, 2010

Estimation and Percents With Easy Earth Day Cookies

For easy Earth Day cookies, with a quick math lesson on estimation and percents thrown in, I gave the kids three blobs of sugar cookie dough - one batch, with two thirds colored blue, and the other third divided in half, with part colored green, and a couple of teaspoons of baking cocoa added to the other.


I reminded the children, that the earth is about 70 percent water. So, they had to roll balls of dough, that were about 70 percent blue, and 30 percent brown, and green combined.


Then, we baked them for 12 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and our Earth Day treats were ready to enjoy. The continents are not exact - this is obviously a better math activity, than one for geography. But still, we think they're pretty sweet.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

These are so adorable! We may just have to try it out.

Debbie said...

What a neat way to incorporate math into an Earth Day lesson!

Kez said...

Where do you get your fantastic ideas from??! Love it!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Kez - Thanks! I got the idea for these when I was rolling up the dough, left over from the butterfly cookies, to freeze.

family of 4 on the move! said...

Wow what a fantastic idea! Thanks for visiting my blog and I look forward to seeing more neat things from you. Mind if I steal a few ideas for my kiddos?!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Family of 4 on the Move - If you ask it's not stealing :) Hope your kiddos enjoy!

Ticia said...

Oh that is so cooL!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

OMG - this is so great! I don't know if I bake cookies this week, but even after the Earth day it would still be fun. Love it.

phasejumper said...

Love these! I tried to make globes out of rice crispy treats, but they didn't turn out as well as your cookies! I'm now a follower!