Thursday, March 25, 2010

Window Garden Excitement

We had a near tragedy with our pop bottle terrarium, last night. Before closing the blinds in the evening, I move the plants off the windowsill. But, last night, I tried to do it single handed (I'm not saying I had a frog cookie in my other hand, but I'm not denying it, either).


The pop bottle terrarium has been working wonderfully, but it is quite flimsy, and grabbing it with one hand, is not advisable. At least, that's what I discovered, when the top popped off, spilling dirt, seeds, and very sadly, a seedling, that hadn't quite reached the surface, yet. There was nothing to be done, but to gather up as much of the dirt as possible, replant the seedling, and toss in a few new seeds, for good measure.

So, I was pleasantly surprised tonight, to find a tiny green plant - alive, and growing. I'm not a hundred percent sure it's our carrot plant, but it does appear to have the remains of a carrot seed sticking to it.


In case your wondering what's on the front of the bottle...


...it's a carrot decoration, the kids added, when I wasn't looking (I guess that means they're excited about the project). So, while one live carrot seedling, might not be much, I'm glad something survived my disaster. And, I'm hopeful for the new seeds we put in, even if it means the children will have to wait a bit longer for results.

Our little apple tree is doing well though, despite a dousing of carrot seed laden dirt. It still has the apple seed attached too, which has been fun for the kids to see close up. The same thing happens in the garden, but we don't always have opportunity to observe it, the way we do when it's right in front of us, on the window sill.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Ticia said...

We tried to grow an apple when we studied apples, but all it did was grow moldy. Maybe if I'd done it in dirt rather than in the plastic bag terrarium.......
Glad to see it's all surviving.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's nice that the seedling survived the spill. I can't wait to see how the carrot will form out of it.

Unknown said...

Cookie eating can be a tricky activity...