Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Clock Cookies


I was making clock cookies for the children last night, but I ran out of time, no pun intended, so they got a plain sugar cookie instead, before being shuffled off to bed.

I had in mind the clock cookies from The Decorated Cookie, but starting close to bedtime, I knew I was pushing it. So, instead of using a rolling pin to flatten the dough, and cutting circles for the clock faces, I took a short cut, and rolled the dough, by hand, into 1 inch balls for baking. Then, after they cooled, I flipped them over, and frosted the flat, bottom side, of the cookies, with a standard butter/powdered sugar/milk frosting.
I stuck them into the freezer, to harden the frosting on the cookies for a few minutes, while I added baker's cocoa to the frosting remaining in the bowl. I spooned the chocolate frosting into a Ziploc-type freezer bag, and cut a very, and I do mean very, small hole in the corner.


Finally, I piped on the clocked faces, which turned out to be easier than I thought it was going to be. The heavy weight freezer bag was perfect for piping.





It was getting late, and my had wasn't as steady as it should have been by the end, but I think the kids will have fun trying to figure out the time on their snacks, this afternoon.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooo- Jungle Girl is working on telling time in Math right now- I believe we may have to steal this idea...

Jamie said...

Very cool. You are such a good mom.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I seriously want one of those snacks - they look so delicious. I am amazed how detailed you got - you should see my attempts at cake decorations :)

ChristinaB said...

These are great and they look seriously yummy too =0)

Debbie said...

These are so cute! I am going to remember this, as we are going to be looking at time here in the near future!

Ticia said...

How do you eat through all the goodies you make?
And what a great reward for getting the right time. Eating the cookie.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Six children can eat a lot of goodies, but also I tend to make small batches :)

legendswife said...

Darling! What a nice mommy you are:) Homeschooling is great!

God Bless