Friday, March 26, 2010

Amigurumi Crochet Frog - Cute Enough to Kiss

I don't often find frogs kissable, but this little guy might be the exception.

I was actually feeling pretty clever today, for finding a crochet project, simple enough to work on with the girls (the older girls - ages 9 and 10), that not only went with our froggy mood this week, but also tied into this month's Unplugged Project theme of spheres. I continued feeling clever right up to the point where I deftly deleted all the pictures on my digital camera, including the ones of the girls working away on the middle section of the green ball (or sphere), which was to become our frog.

They're pretty new to crochet, so in total, I think they only managed about 25 stitches anyway, not because of difficulty, but more because of the interest span of their age. We did discover, that one of the neat things about crocheting a round project, is it can be turned inside out, to accommodate a left hander.

And, it is really a quick project (click here, to find the free, Lion Brand pattern). Like most amigurumi, it's almost entirely done in single crochet - great for beginners.

As for the Unplugged Project theme...basically this little frog is nothing more than a green sphere...


...with arms, legs...



...eyes, and a mouth.


And, if you like...

...a jaunty little crown.
Be sure to check out this month's Unplug Your Kids, Unplugged Project, for more spherical fun.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I look forward to Selena getting older so I can teach her to crochet and knit. I love the frog, it is so cute!

Ticia said...

It's things like this that make me want to learn to crochet, but I REALLY don't need another time sink, why do you keep taunting me with these posts? Why?
And then there's that added difficulty of being left-handed....

Michelle said...

So cute! I love crocheting, Emily would love this since she loves all things frogs at the moment.