- A cow for 1/2 cup of butter
- Sugar cane for 2/3 cups of "shiny white sugar"
- Bees for 2 tablespoons of honey
- A chicken for an egg (but only the yoke)
- Tree bark, from a special tree, for 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- And, wheat for 1 and 3/4 cups of flour (I snuck in 2 and 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder, as a substitute, for the self-rising flour called for in the final recipe)
The children loved the story, and the cookies were delicious too, but I'll let you in on a little secret...
...we almost never bake up an entire batch of cookies at once. Since we like to make goodies often, we keep the batches small, and freeze the dough we don't use, for another time. That way, we can enjoy a variety of goodie related activities, without overdosing on sweets. And, as a bonus, should unexpected company arrive, we almost always have cookies in the freezer - mixed, and waiting to be baked.
It's great to be a homeschooler.