Saturday, March 20, 2010

Science Sunday - Spring Has Sprung



I had planned a thunder storm activity for our Sunday Science, but our snack, and story last night, led us into another project first.

While I was reading Lois Ehlert's Planting the Rainbow, to the children, I mentioned, that like in the story, we have daffodil, hyacinth, and tulip bulbs in the yard. The little ones wanted to go out, and see them.

Of course, the flower beds don't look like much, right now. It's early yet, for gardening in Montana, but we did spot some signs of spring.




Then, we checked out what was left of the garden. Things still looked pretty wintry there, but we discovered mint still smells minty, even when it looks like twigs.


We followed up by watching two episodes of Magic School Bus: The Magic School Bus Goes To Seed, to find out how plants make seeds, and The Magic School Bus Gets Planted, to learn about how plants grow.

So, between, Ehlert's book, our trip to the yard, and the two Magic School Bus episodes, what started out as a story time, and snack, grew nicely into a science lesson, instead.

For more science fun for kids, check out the Science Sunday link up, at Adventures in Mommydom.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

I'm going to have to check into those Magic School Bus books. Since we're busy planting down here, my kids are super interested in this topic right now.

Ticia said...

Yeah, I was a little disturbed by that as well. Comes from the video game Jeff and I play, they think everyone comes back to life after a minute or two. I don't think they really understand that death is permanent.

Debbie said...

I am so looking forward to our planting season to begin. I must admit though I usually just buy the flowers and put them in the ground, when I know it is time.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's great that the girls will be able to see those tiny shoots grow into beautiful flowers. We went on the nature walk the other day and collected the rainbow of colors - we could find flowers of every possible hue. We are well in the middle of our flowering season here :)