Monday, March 1, 2010

Rainbow Slushies A Taste of Spring


March has come in like a lamb in our part of Montana. With St. Patrick's Day, and Easter just around the corner, spring is in the air. And, thanks to an idea from Tina Houser's More Than Cookies & Punch, rainbows our in our cups.


Houser suggests freezing colorful sports drinks in ice cube trays, and then crushing the ice, with a blender, before putting it into cups. We used freezer pops, and a hammer, but it worked pretty much the same.


It took one freezer pop per layer, for two juice size glasses. We found letting them thaw a few seconds, before hammering them, kept the packages from bursting open.

A juice glass full was plenty of sugar, I wouldn't suggest going any bigger. I think if we try this again, I'll see if we can't come up with a juice alternative.
But, the kids were thrilled with their treats, and we counteracted the sugar with a salad lunch. Plus, with the beautiful weather they can run the rest off - outside.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

legendswife said...

This is awesome! I am going to make these for my boys this month. My oldest went to grab some icees the last time we went grocery shopping, and I said no (that's what mom's do... we just say no:)). So he will be happy for me purchasing them and this cool idea! Thanks:)

Kirsten said...

What a swell idea! Maybe frozen juice concentrate in place of the juice ice...

Unknown said...

Ooooooo- this will be a perfect addition to our St. Patrick's Day/Leaping Leprechauns fun day at our home...

Just Jenn said...

I am SO going to do this ... SOON!
;) thanks for your sweet comments on Sunday!
Just Jenn~

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This really would work well for St Patrick's Day! Maybe I will get those cool pops just this once :)

Ticia said...

My kids would love this! An excuse to use a hammer, how excellent.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

These are totally awesome! Love the freezer pops and hammer idea. Brilliant!!

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

These are so creative and fun! Thanks for the great idea, I'll be linking.