Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rainbow Promises - A Family Craft

My husband and I, our pretty typical parents when it comes to promise keeping. We always have the best of intentions, and want to give good examples of integrity to our children, but we are forgetful.

And, our children are pretty typical children when it comes to promises. Every statement, no matter what sort of phrase it begins with, such as maybe, perhaps, or possibly, is taken as a solemn vow.

Naturally, this has led to some frustration, and confusion in our house, but we modified a craft found in our Hands on Bible, in a way, that I think might help us all. The original craft was meant to go along with the origin of the rainbow, as a reminder of a promise, in Genesis 9. The children were supposed to add raindrops to a rainbow, with promises they'd made to God, written on them, so they would be reminded of them, whenever they looked at it.


We hung strings with paper clips, to our rainbow, so we could add, and remove raindrops from them. And, instead of promises to God, which quite frankly I'm a little leery of, we will write our promises to the children on them.

So the children will know if it's not written on a raindrop, it's not really a promise. And, we will have a reminder of our promises. When the promises our fulfilled, they can be dated, and moved to the back of the paperclips. Then later, the children will have a reminder that we do keep our promises.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

I like that. What a cool idea!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This really IS a neat idea! I am surprised that the current number of raindrops on your rainbow is so low :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

You are brilliant! What a great way to eliminate some of the typical miscommunications that occur with parenting. I think this concept should be incorporated into the workplace!

Debbie said...

I love this idea. I try so hard to keep my promises, but like you I sometimes forget as well. I will have to make one of these with Selena.