Monday, March 28, 2011

Toilet Paper Tube Binoculars


With all the bird watching we've been doing, and are hoping to do, it seemed only natural to put together a pair of play binoculars for the the girls. Toilet paper tube binoculars are nothing new in our house, or probably in yours.

Generally, the children make their own by stapling together a couple of empty toilet paper tubes, and then decorating them with crayons. This time, I thought we'd see if we couldn't make a more realistic looking pair, for their pretend play. Meaning, that this is more of a Mommy done craft, though the girls did kick it off, by painting the tubes, inside and out, with black tempera paint for me.


When they were dry, or mostly dry, I glued strips of black fun foam around both ends, securing them first with rubber bands, and when that didn't work, with clothes pins, until they were dry.

On the top ends of the tubes, I punched a holes in the tubes, and the fun foam, opposite from where the fun foam seams would come together, for a cord to go through, later. You can see from the picture, that I got a little carried away with glue, and so things got messier than they needed to.


When the glue on the fun foam was dry, I glued the two tubes, seam side together, at the fun foam, again securing them with clothes pins, until they were dry.


While I was waiting for the glue to dry, I laced both ends of a piece of string long enough to drape easily around the girls' necks, into the two holes. Then, I tied knots in the ends, and secured them with clear tape.


Finally, I colored the top of black soda bottle caps black with a marker, and glued them to the top of each binocular, in case the girls might need to adjust their focus.


They're not exactly the same as Daddy's, but close enough, that hopefully, even though we have a couple of good pairs out, near windows, they won't end up being carted away for play time, when I'm not looking.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

15 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

They look so realistic! I find that even though we have actual binoculars, children prefer playing with the toilet paper roll ones!

Christy Killoran said...

They came out great; very realistic!!!

I just read that toilet paper is going to be made without tubes. I'm stocking up now!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I think they look great, but I am sure my daughter would still go for a "real deal" given the opportunity.

Alex said...

Hi there! :) Awesome blog! Those binoculars looks so real!!

I am your newest follower :D

Alex

http://www.trinkz.blogspot.com/
Win a FREE Brand-New Collectible Jelly Belly Dispenser

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Piper - Welcome!!!

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

I love this idea! These will be so great for walks, or just exploring outside. I really like your blog! I just found it today.

Debbie said...

I really like these! I am now going to have to make a pair for Selena, I know she would love them.

Phyllis said...

I expect next time you will figure out a way to add lenses. ;)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phyllis - You know I gave it some thought :)

Ticia said...

Looks much better than anything I've done

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

Those Look AMAZING! Woot!

Deborah said...

I don't use black paint much! This is a great way to bring in the black and they look so real:)

Anonymous said...

Cool idea. Just ran into your blog today. I am thinking about homeschooling my soon to be kindergartener who is almost halfway through Kindergarten. I think we are going with Sonlight for the core program with some 1st grade readers and Singapour Math. Just decideing what I want to use for science and handwriting and Language arts. Any ideas would be good. I also have a 3 year old and take care of two other three year olds and two barelly one year olds. One of the 3 year olds is almost up to speed with my 5 year old. Smarty pants. This should be interesting.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I have some thoughts on that, but am right in the middle of installing a new printer. I'll try to leave an answer later tonight.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Okay - first of all, I have a couple of friends who use Sonlight, and love it. But, with that said, I'd say take your time before committing to a curriculum. They are very expensive, and don't always meet all of your children's needs, or learning styles. Kindergarten, and even first grade are pretty simple to teach. Enjoy yourself, use your library, and try out books, whenever possible, before buying them. Most libraries have excellent science experiment books for younger children, that provide a lot of learning, with items found around your house. Somewhere back in my posts from the summer, I have a list of science experiment books we really enjoyed, from the library.