Wednesday, March 2, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Hide-And-Seek Jar


I thought with St. Patrick's Day coming up, the children might enjoy a holiday themed, hide-and-seek-jar - just the standard type, but with rainbow colored popcorn kernels (a few drops of food coloring mixed with the kernels, in plastic baggies, left open to dry)...


...and green toys to seek...


....plopped inside a cleaned out pickle jar...



...buried in more kernels, with an inch of empty space left at the top of the jar, and "sealed with tape...


...ready to play with.


After some convincing, the younger girls gave up asking me to open the jar, so they could have all the tiny toys, and settled into a game of roll the jar...


...were the person catching the jar, with the green haired troll ending up on top of the kernels, was the winner.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a lovely, fun idea!! I really love the rainbow popcorn idea!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Rainbow popcorn sounds lovely, but I can only imagine how much begging you had to withstand. I do think that those hide-and-seek toys are better for toddlers.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Natalie - It's surprising how much time even my older children will spend finding, and loosing the toys - usually with stories about avalanches, and rock slides. D, actually asked me if I'd make one with all blue kernels, fish, and lego men, so it would look like they were being lost in an ocean full of piranhas - I'm a little worried for his future :)

Christy Killoran said...

I have made I Spy bottles with colored rice, but I love the colored popcorn idea! I love D's idea (from your comment) too! Did they know what they were looking for, or was it just a surprise? When I made an I Spy bottle, I photocopied the items I wanted them to look for first - that was fun.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - It was a surprise, but I told them how many things to look for.