Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How to Make a Cherry Pie and read about the U.S.A.

If you are familiar with this blog at all, you know I didn't make it through yesterday - National Pi Day - without making a pie.




We actually still had Marjorie Priceman's How to Make a Cherry Pie and see the U.S.A. in from the library, after checking it out, too late, for National Cherry Pie Day (coinciding with Washington's Birthday), last month.

The book, which you can find reviewed on many blogs, including here, at Superheroes and Princesses, and here, at Adventure's in Mommydom, involves a little girl, traveling the United States to find the "ingredients" for her pie making tools. So, it's off to Washington for wood for a rolling pin, and to New Mexico for clay for a mixing bowl, and so on, with quite a few random state facts thrown in just for fun.

Naturally, there is also a recipe for cherry pie included in the book. Ticia over at Adventure's in Mommydom, did not have much luck with the pie dough recipe, so I almost skipped it, but decided at the last second to give it a try, taking one bit of advice from Ticia, and making it without the children's "help". I'm not sure if that's what did it, or not, but I thought the dough turned out really well, if a touch salty for my taste, and pie dough is not one of my favorite things to make.

Unfortunately, still adjusting to the time change, I started the project kind of late, and so had to send the children to bed, with a story, and the smell of a baking pie in the air. But, the Man of the House, who has a slightly later bedtime than the children, tried a piece, and gave it his approval. So, I'm sure the children will enjoy it today.

And, I can't even say, I'm totally hating the time change, despite the fact that it's throwing off my entire week. Because, not only did I get pie for breakfast, but the newly set clock, had me up in time to enjoy the pie, and a very strong cup of coffee, with the sunrise. And, that would have been a shame to miss.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Phyllis said...

I laughed when I saw the Pi symbol on your pie because Sam insisted that I should do that, but I made a chocolate cream pie and I wasn't about to be that creative last night. I told him that I would save it for next year. Nice geography tie-in. You do live in a beautiful area. That sunrise is so nice.

Annette W. said...

My husband's a math guy...and I almsot made him a pie yesterday...but wasn't motivated.

Debbie said...

Your pie looks so yummy! The time change has us all of schedule too. It is nice though to see the sun coming up earlier, well if we didn't have all the clouds and rain!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I was sure that we will see a pie on your blog for March 14. The book sounds intriguing. We read the first one in the series some time ago - perhaps I can bring both of them back.

RealMom4Life said...

I had no idea that book existed! We've read How to Make an Apple Pie and See The World...probably very similar. OK - so we'll be veering off our Five in a Row books and checking out this Cherry Pie one next. (of course then every holdiay someone will want to make a cherry pie - when my 9 year old asks to make his apple pie)

Susan said...

I also laughed when I saw the Pi symbol on your pie because I made a chili pot "pi" for dinner last night, and I did the same thing :)

Christy Killoran said...

Oh, I knew there would be pie! I think I have to borrow this book again and try the recipe. I usually use refrigerated pie crust (gasp!) but your pie looks so yummy.

I feel bad for not making a pie yesterday because T spent the entire day in school focusing on Pi (even in his non-math classes; our school district is big on writing in math and writing about math in English, etc.). I'm going to remember to make pie next year.

I love your comment about the man of the house and his bedtime! I also love your sunrise photo - that makes it all worth it. I have been grumbling about the time change; you made me realize that I have to find the positive in it!

Ticia said...

awesome.

Glad to hear the pie came out okay for you. I really do wonder if it was the "help" from the kids or if it was because I didn't refrigerate the shortening like it said to do. I've never before been told to refrigerate shortening.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - I found that odd too, but I did it anyway - so maybe that's the difference. My dough folded, and unfolded beautifully, and I almost never have that happen.

Mel said...

I love Pi Day! I'm definitely going to use your idea next year! ...or Sunday because it sounds so yummy and I don't want to wait that long ^_^ Thanks for sharing!