Sunday, March 6, 2011

Shamrock Heart Cookies

I'll be posting our "What My Child is Reading", and "Science Sunday" posts later today, and tomorrow (Lord willing!), but I thought I'd sneak in one more cookie post real quick, this morning.

Shamrock Heart Cookies (for those of us without shamrock cookie cutters)

Cream together:

  • 1/2 cup softened butter, unsalted

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1 teaspoon mint extract

  • several drops of green food coloring

Stir in:

  • 1 and 3/4 cups flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

  • and 1/8 teaspoon salt


Roll the dough out on waxed paper, and use a small heart cookie cutter, to cut out three hearts per shamrock.


Slice a quick, rectangular stem from the dough, with a butter knife, and place it on a greased cookie sheet.


Then, add the hearts, as pictured.



Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes, until the edges just start to brown.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

sarah said...

LOVE these!! Great idea!!

Ticia said...

The problem I've found with shamrock cookie cutters is the stem is so dang narrow it always breaks off when you're putting it on the cookie tin.

These are much cuter anyways.

Unknown said...

MMMMmmmmm MINTY!

I wonder is LIMEY would be good?

Lime is always good. Unless maybe when you are expecting mint.

*** yes, it was all 3, or more of just the last 2. Not sure is all day playing on the computer is really super unschool-y. (but they were fighting colds.. so it's all OK)

RealMom4Life said...

Great! I just found your site while searching for owl projects for my preschoolers. LOVE IT!

I think many of us who've been homeschooling awhile tend in the direction of unschooling!

I just started some Five in a Row type books/projects with my littlest ones and they are asking for more owl stuff. This is what it is all about!

Thanks. I'll be following this!

Christy Killoran said...

Very nice!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love these! I wonder who ended up with a lucky shamrock :)

Gina said...

I've been looking for a good recipe for St. Pat's! This is perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

What a FANTASTIC IDEA...thank you for sharing! I have pinned this to my St. Pats Board. ~ Shawns Nana