Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Magazine Collage Robins


C (age 4), wanted to cut, last night, and E (age 6) wanted to make a craft with robins. So, I grabbed an old magazine, and we set to work on a collage.

I pulled out a few pages for C to cut away on independently, while E, and I flipped through the rest of the magazine, looking for the right colors, and tracing out shapes, for her robins.

It was fun to find the colors for feathers in pieces of cake, and teapots...


...yellow for beaks in bowls of sherbet...


...and to envision noodle nests, in a place mat tree.


I traced shapes out, for her to cut...


...then laid out the pieces out, to suggest the picture...


....for her to move over, and glue onto construction paper.


She was pretty pleased with the results, and has now decided maybe she will grow up to be an artist, instead of a hairdresser in Paris (a career option, I'm sorry to say, she picked up from watching Pee-Wee's Big Adventure).

It's great to be a homeschooler.

21 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful job :)

Ticia said...

I guess you have to subscribe to magazines to get cool magazine collages like that.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Tea Time is a gift from my mother-in-law, I'm hoping she won't mind us using the old ones to craft with :) Free mail order catalogs work for collages too, though.

Phyllis said...

That is a very nice collage. It just says spring! Lovely.

Summer Kinard said...

Wow! That is a great collage. I have one of those $5 subscriptions to a home magazine, and I plan to use this idea with some back issues. Thank you for sharing this idea.

Unknown said...

Ooooo- this SO reminds me of Lois Elhert's illustrations...

GREAT job C!

Chelsea said...

I've been wanting to do magazine picture collages for so long, but I can't seem to get the kids interested. Maybe at four they are still too young to really "get" the idea. I may have to do it myself to satisfy my urge, and then let the kiddos try again in a few years. Yours turned out so great!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Chelsea - I tried to get C interested in the collage, but she really just wanted to cut. So, maybe 4 is too young.

Christy Killoran said...

Wow! That came out great!!! I love it!!

I also love the career talk! R has wanted to be everything from a house cleaner to a nail polisher (her words) and now a dance teacher.

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

This is great. I think we'll have to try magazine collage!

Debbie said...

I love Ticia's comment. I was thinking the same thing. I rarely buy magazines let alone have any subscriptions. I do love her robin collage!

Anya said...

Very nice!

Melanie said...

I LOVE it!! I have to add this to our spring activities!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Hey, hairdresser in Paris sounds glamorous too :) You have such a great sense for art, and I love her pleased face in the picture.

Deborah said...

That turned out wonderful! I love how you searched for colors and textures to create the birds rather than looking for actual birds.

GummyLump.com: wooden toys, pretend play, and play food for preschool! said...

Wow, those look great! You are so inspiring!!

Anonymous said...

Cute collage! I love using recycled materials for crafting.

Elise said...

A perfect compromise for your children. This is such a sweet, spring collage.

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

I love these! Great work!

Sarah @ Frugal Fun for Boys said...

Those are great! We did a similar collage with paper that we had painted on with water colors, and I love how this creates a similar effect, but without the painting step. Definitely going to try making one!

marcia said...

Adorable! Love it!

happy day!