Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Of Birds and Sharks - Interesting Links for Children

I've been searching high and low through cyberspace for the perfect printout to compliment a nature checklist-type notebook, I'd like to work on as a project, with the children. To begin with, I was looking some kind of bird watcher's checklist for our state, or even better, for our county (which I found at the U.S. Geological Survey site, here).

Then I found exactly what I was looking for, from the the National Wildlife Federation. It's a by state chart, with a list, including thumbnail pictures, of all the birds, mammals, insects, and such, to look for, with a little box, to check off, once you spot each animal. It's absolutely terrific - except, that when you click on the link to go to the PDF file, it won't come up - tragic really.

I'm hoping it's a temporary glitch, though. I'll let you know if I ever find it working. And, in the meantime, on the same site, I found a very fun, shark identification/word scramble game, that D (age 8) is going to flip over. If you have a young, shark enthusiast in your home, you might want to check it out, too.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried homeschool freebie of the day? They have a wonderful nature study that is divided up by category. We love that site! Www.homeschoolresorce.com

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great links - too bad that the one on NWF doesn't work. I am motivated to do a lot more bird watching now :)

Jenny said...

I tried too and it's still not working. :( I can't understand if the checklist is something we can print out at home as a field guide of sorts, or if it's an online checklist (not to print) where you check off the things you find for the sake of the website's record keeping. I sure hope it works soon. We'd really like to take part in the whole activity of having a field guide and adding our finds to the website. I'd love to know if you figure it out or hear anything from them.

Christy Killoran said...

Ack! I got all excited about that PDF. I hope it's just a glitch that will be corrected soon! We go hiking a lot in the spring and summer and it would be neat to have something like that to keep track of wildlife we see.