Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pilgrim and Indian Windowsill Egghead Planters



C (age 4), still had some crafty energy left, after all our thankful turkeys were complete. Actually, I don't know if she so much wanted to craft, or if she just wasn't ready to relinquish the glue stick.


At any rate, I cut, and she glued, and together we turned three more toilet paper tubes into a seasonal change of clothing, for our egghead planters, on the kitchen windowsill.



Thankfully, two of the scarecrow mouths were drawn with pencil, so I could easily erase their stitchy grins, and give them normal smiles. For the one in pen...


My first attempt, at disguising the scarecrow, cross-stitches, caused the Man of the House, to say, "How doest thou?" in his best, Italian-Pilgrim-English, every time he walked by. So, I ended up turning the egg around, and drawing a new face, altogether.


Now, our pilgrim gentleman is two-faced. Which, depending on your view of the early American settlers, and their policies toward the native peoples, might be fitting. We weren't going for symbolism, though, just for something cute to put on the windowsill.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, I LOVE the Man Pilgrim's 1st face- your husband is correct in implying that some kind of courtship was taking place between the two Pilgrims...(LOL!)

Christy Killoran said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! I love it.

Very cute.

Debbie said...

I love these! They are so cute. I have to try to make some if not for finger puppets, minus the egg and grass.

Joyful Learner said...

Not only cute but funny! Very creative.

Ticia said...

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha, pilgrim pick up lines! AWESOME!

My kids would love this.

Phyllis said...

I remember making these when I was little, but without the egg-grass. That adds an interesting touch.

Unknown said...

cute!!

Lora Maria said...

I LOVE this. thanks for the great idea! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Too funny and this pilgrim family looks super cute!