Friday, October 8, 2010

Baked Applesauce Donuts for the Bread Machine

I had hoped the children would be willing to check "make apple donuts", off of our fall list, since we were able to eat the "real" thing at the pumpkin patch.

But, the children thought we still needed to make our own. Apparently, since we made them last fall, it's now a tradition. So, I went back to last year's post, to find the link to the recipe, and discovered it was broken.

I've fixed the link now, but first I modified a recipe from cdkitchen, that we ended up liking much better. It's a baked donut, so no scary hot oil, but they taste very donut like, and are good hot out of the oven, or cold the next day.

Here's our version of the recipe:


Baked Applesauce Donuts for the Bread Machine



  • 1/6 cup warm water

  • 3/4 cup milk

  • 1/6 cup applesauce (we used plain, but any type would do)

  • 1 beaten egg

  • 1/4 cup unsalted, butter - cubed

  • 2 1/4 cups of flour (we used all purpose flour)

  • 1/8 cup of sugar

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg (it sounds like a lot, but trust me, it's right)

  • 1 package of active dry yeast

  • an additional 1/2 cup of melted butter

  • 1 cup of sugar combined with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Pour the first five ingredients into the bread maker.

Top them with the flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and lastly the yeast.

Set the bread maker to the dough setting, and let it run.

The dough that comes out is extremely thin. We kneaded ours in a bowl with an additional cup, and a half of flour, to make it workable. You could probably add the extra flour into the machine to begin with, but we haven't tried it that way yet, so I don't know how it will change the final results.

Pat the dough out into a circle, about 3/4 of an inch thick.

Cut into donut shapes with a donut cutter, or two round cookie cutters.

Place onto greased cookie sheets (we put the donuts on one sheet, and the holes on another), cover with a clean towel, and let rise for 40 minutes to an hour.

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, until they begin to look golden - do not over bake!

Toss them immediately into the melted butter with a couple of forks, and then into the sugar, and cinnamon mixture.

Serve and enjoy! If you keep them overnight, treat them like muffins, and cover them loosely. If you wrap them up in plastic, they might get gooey.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Excellent! We make donuts every year (using the scary oil method :)so it's great to find this now that the kids have been asking for them again. Thanks!

Lisa said...

Looks like a great recipe and a great thing to possibly try this weekend. The kids would love making their own donuts!

Christy Killoran said...

Yum! I have a brand new bread machine and I think this will be the first recipe it makes!

Phyllis said...

We don't have a bread machine, but it sounds like the ingredients could be mixed in a KitchenAid. Hmmm? They sound yummy.

Ticia said...

I'm trying to decide if my family would like it........

Of course I don't have a bread machine anyways.

Fairion said...

Baked donuts without a specialized pan? The special pan has been the one stumbling block in my willingness to try baked donuts. This sounds like the perfect treat for Fall. Thank you so much for sharing.

Wendy@arrowsinourfist said...

These were delicious!I went ahead and added an extra cup of flour at the start and the dough came out great. Your blog has been a delight to me!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

arrowsinourfist - Great to know!

ChristinaB said...

Those sound like Fall to me!!I am going to have to try them! I love your blog and just HAD to TAG you! A game of tag to get to know our fellow bloggers! Check out my blog to see how you can tag the next bloggers :0) @
http://thestoryofus3.blogspot.com/2010/10/ive-been-tagged.html

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I'll have to try these! I made some last year but they were fried, and seriously, anything fried is just not worth making homemade.

Jen said...

I tried these and I can't believe they didn't flop! I copied and pasted the recipe so I could print it out and somehow, it read "6 cup applesauce". I thought wow, but ok! after the bread machine was done, I mixed in cup after cup of flour to get it ready to roll out. I must've added 6 more cups of flour (plus the 3 I started with). they are rather dense, but with plenty of butter, cinnamon and sugar added before and after baking, they are quite good. don't think I'll make them quite like that again!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Jen - Wow! That is a lot of extra applesauce. I'm glad they were still edible :)