Thursday, October 28, 2010

Zucchini for Breakfast

This morning, we had breakfast...


...and a story. While the children chowed down on some yummy bread, I read "The Zucchini Houdini" to them, one of four, recipe laden, short stories from Johanna Hurwitz's The Just Desserts Club.

When the Kaufman family kitchen becomes inundated with zucchini, from well meaning, and generous friends, and neighbors, and it turns out Mrs. Kaufman only knows two ways of fixing it - steamed, or with a tomato sauce, Cricket is forced to take things into her own hands. A quick trip to the library turns up a surprising wealth of delicious, and sweet, recipes for the abundant fruit.

Of course, I was only a few sentences into the story, when the older children guessed the "secret" ingredient in their breakfast bread.

The little ones knew ahead, because they had helped me prepare it...


...after first examining...


...and sampling...


...two of the tiniest zucchini I think I've ever seen.


Even so, there was enough to make a loaf of zucchini bread, following the recipe from the book (which, turned out very well), with enough left over to take on the recipe for zucchini cookies, or maybe even zucchini brownies, this afternoon.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny- we had Zucchini Fajitas last night! I do believe Zucchini Bread is next on our list...

(I bought a TON of Zucchini at the grocery store since it was on sale and have shredded and frozen it- this book would be one fun way to use it up!)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Zuccini is one of my favorite veggies (or is it a fruit?), but I know exactly two ways to make it too - fried and in a grill mix. Perhaps I should look for this book :)

Debbie said...

You just made me hungry for Zucchini bread. My Aunt makes the best Zucchini bread and puts a few chocolate chips in it. Oh if that is melt in the mouth delicious.

Marcee said...

We had chocolate zucchini cake for Benjamin's B-day. It makes everything so moist! Cupcakes and brownies are good with it too. Oh, and cookies. ect.ect. ect.

Christy Killoran said...

I love zucchini bread! My kids do too. We often make zucchini chocolate chip muffins. Yum.

Unknown said...

funny how I really do not like zucchini, but LOVE zucchini bread!

What a yummy breakfast! miine was a protein shake.

Ticia said...

I remember my Mom making zuchini bread as a kid.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Funny how those zucchinis you get at the store are always so small and thin. The garden grown ones always are so much bigger because they grow so fast you hardly have a chance to cut them small. Zucchini bread freezes well but we like to eat it so much the batches never make it to the freezer.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious! I haven't made zucchini bread in ages.

Lady Chadwick said...

I always wanted to make zucchini bread...I never seem too. So you can shred and freeze it? That would make bread easier..if I had a shredder.