Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bear Paw Cookies


My oldest two whipped up a batch of these little, tasteofhome inspired, bear paws, for our snack tonight.

They were so simple, I didn't even have to help them - which I have to say, is my favorite type of snack. They rolled chocolate, sugar cookie dough (just a standard sugar cookie recipe, with 1/2 cup of bakers cocoa added, as usual) into one inch balls, and flattened them by hand.


Then, they placed them on a greased cookie sheet, and added five, slivered almond, claws to each one.


They baked them, again as usual, for 12 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

While their cookies were cooling, and the youngest two were napping, the older four headed off to the library. And, I know what your thinking, but I did actually manage to resist the temptation, of an unguarded plate, of fresh from the oven, chocolate goodness...


...but just bear-ly.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

15 comments:

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

lol - You just had to go there, didn't you? Those cookies are darling! They'd be great go along with the book Going on a Bear Hunt. (Sorry. Can't help myself.)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christianne - The pressure to pun was simply un-bear-able :)

I have Going on a Bear Hunt on hold, but it hasn't come in, yet. So, we'll probably go with one of the hibernation stories I have standing by.

Joyful Learner said...

You are killing me with those adorable bear paws and the bear...what WILL you do next?! Love them.

Christy Killoran said...

Ha ha ha. I love your puns. I love the cookies too. So very cute.

Your children still nap???????? That is nice. My four year old has not taken a real nap in well over a year. She will fall asleep if we have a very busy morning or she isn't feeling well, but that is a rare occurrence.

Unknown said...

Oh man, you already used my puns you two!

Well, here's ONE more:

Those cookies are so cute I can BEARly stand it!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - My children do still have a naptime. They don't always sleep, sometimes they read, or play quietly - it's my reboot time, and I rule it with an iron fist :)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Eeeekkk! Those are ADORABLE!!! My kind of baking. :-)

Debbie said...

I wondered when the bear cookies would come, they look delicious!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Your kids will grow up to be master bakers - just like you! Those cookies are supercute. And I am so jealous about naps!

Ticia said...

I need to get the kids back into the rest time habit. I SO need that time. If nothing else so I can clean and sew.

April said...

You are just full of great ideas, I love your blog!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

April - Thanks!

Kate said...

Those look great-- I would not have been able to resist!

Jackie said...

Can I get the complete recipe with measurements & directions please

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Jackie - we used the sugar cookie recipe from https://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com/2011/05/c-is-for.html following those directions, but pressing in the almonds before baking.