Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tootsie Roll Teddie Bears

Well, we just couldn't resist. So, here they are our teddy bears, in all they tootsie roll goodness.



Needless to say, I cleared away all of the cold porcelain clay bears, that were not attached to necklaces, for safekeeping, before we started this project. And, by the way, the paper clip loops I inserted into the bear pendants seem to be staying firmly in place, even when worn by a rambunctious three year old.


But, back to the tootsie rolls! We used our standard tootsie roll recipe, I've blogged about it before, but here it is again, so you don't have to click back.

Homemade Tootsie Rolls

  • 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup instant powdered milk
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup

Mix all the ingredients together, until the dough begins to stick to itself. Then, knead by hand, until smooth, and shiny.

I gave each of the kids a clump of dough, on a sheet of wax paper, and let them have at it - after they had thoroughly washed their hands.


They started out making bears, and then switched to Kirbys, snowmen, and assorted worms. Finally, they started making regular old tootsie roll shapes. This dough is pretty soft, and a little harder to shape than the cold porcelain clay. One tip I can offer, is wash your hands often. It keeps the dough from sticking to hands quite as much.




My oldest daughter suggested they pretend they were working in a candy factory, and had to hurry to make their quota. Now, I'm going to have to look up that old I Love Lucy episode for them!


It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

These are so much fun! You *have* to show them that I Love Lucy episode!

Ticia said...

Nice! You make all sorts of things I would never have thought to make. Do they eat the necklaces when they get hungry? It would seem like they'd get sticky.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm hoping they won't eat the necklaces (and they haven't so far), as they are made of clay. But, they do look a lot like the tootsie rolls :)