Sunday, November 1, 2009

More Knit Christmas Ornaments


Hail, hail, the gang's all here!


With our countdown to Thanksgiving underway, I figured it was time to finish up what I started with the Christmas ornaments. We like to put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving, and the way fall is rushing by, I didn't want to be caught unprepared.

So, still using the pattern for the Christmas Tree Bears, but modifying the colors, and things like hair, and faces, slightly, I knit two more ballerina ornaments to go along with the ballerina angel ornament, for my daughters, dancing in the Nutcracker, this year.


A ballerina lamb,


and a rat.


And, in addition to the ornaments for my youngest son, and daughter, I made one for their older brother.


Just a plain one, in black jeans, and a gray shirt, but with his shoes untied - because he's twelve, after all. There's also a tiny bee on his shoulder (just a knot of black and yellow thread), to mark the fact that this was the year he vowed not to leave the house for the entire month of August, in order to avoid his annual bee sting.

The kids were pretty happy with their effigies (except my oldest daughter, who would still prefer the latest Hallmark offering), though they did notice some discrepancy in the proportions of the ornaments.


I was ready, pointing out that...
  • this was the year our youngest was potty trained, thus becoming a "big" girl, so her ornament is a little larger than the others.

  • While, her older sister, though bigger than her in real life, will look quite tiny, as a lamb, on the stage, and so has the smallest ornament.

  • And, the angels will be wearing big flowing dresses, with hoop skirts, so the angel ornament should be larger than the rat, even though that isn't a true representation of the girls.
"Or," my oldest daughter (the Hallmark lover) noted, "Mom just hasn't figured out how to knit them the right sizes yet."
A fact, I should add, which I commemorated with my own ornament -



It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: