Friday, November 27, 2009

Matchbox Doll House and Rocket Ship - Recycled Cereal Box Craft



I don't know if you've seen the tiny travelling doll's house, made by Trixi, at Coloured Buttons, but it's absolutely adorable. I knew as soon as I saw it, that I would have to make one for each of the girls. My only problem was a lack of matchboxes. We had one box in the kitchen, but it was full of matches, and I thought my husband might frown on me dumping it out, to use for a craft.

I was completely roadblocked, and had just about given up on the thought, when it occurred to me, that if I could make a round box out of cereal box cardboard, I could probably just as easily make my own matchboxes.

I actually ended up temporarily dumping out the kitchen matches, so I could take the box apart, and use it as a template. Though, I was very careful with the box, so I could glue it back together, and refill it with matches, when I was done.


The nice side effect of making my own boxes, was that I was able to attach the fabric I wanted on the inside, and outside of the houses, while they were still flat pieces.


I used a combination of Elmer's glue, and hot glue, for putting my houses together.


I love the little button flowers that Trixi used on her house, but I'm pretty sure my little ones would rip those off, and eat them, so I went with some fabric kittens, cut from a printed piece of material, instead.


For the boys, I made rocket ships, leaving the boxes fairly plain. I added tinfoil to the interior, and a few geometrically cut pieces of fun foam to the outside.


The boxes are a pretty tight fit, and the triangles on the rocket bottom holds them in as well, so I don't think they'll fall open, even if worn on a string around the neck.


I made each of the houses, and rockets, tiny pillows, and crocheted blankets, and sock doll inhabitants.


Now all that is left to do, is to add some sort of string, or necklace, for easy carrying, and they'll be ready for Christmas.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

trixi said...

Wow! Love the rocket ships you made...and the little sock dollies...and the crocheted blankets!
If you'd like to add them to the 'Tiny travelling doll's house' Flickr group that would be great!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You really went all out - those matchbox houses and rocket ships are fantastic. I am sure your kids will have lots of fun playing with them.

Ticia said...

Okay, now I'm off to check out the original post that inspired you, and I'm trying to think when I'd have time to do this.....

Noreen said...

Cute ideas! If you have a Dollar Tree nearby (or possibly any other dollar store) you can get boxes of matches: 10 or 12 small boxes for $1 or 2 or 3 large boxes for $1. I found different numbers of boxes in the packages, and naturally got the packs with the larger number. 2 of the 12 box packs was enough to make an Advent Calendar. Check out my websites: www.craftlinky.com and www.make-homemade-gifts.com for more ideas for the matchboxes.