Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Plump and Perky Turkey Cookies for stART


For stART (a story + art project, hosted at A Mommy's Adventures) this week, we read the story, A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman. It is the story of a turkey's desire to avoid being part of the Thanksgiving feast, despite the fact that he is the plumpest turkey in town. It culminates with an art competition, for which Pete, the turkey, is the model - which seemed appropriate for a stART story.

We made our own versions of Pete, on cookie canvases. I know, I know, another "cookies as art" project! But when I saw the instructions for these little gobblers on the Pillsbury site, I just couldn't help myself.


I made up a batch of plane sugar cookies, and a batch of chocolate frosting, which I put into a Ziploc bag with a corner cut out, for piping. Then I gave them to the older children, with a bag of candy corn (I would have made my own, but now that we're past Halloween, the stores are practically giving the stuff away), and a bag of chocolate chips, and let them have some fun creating a couple of turkeys each.


For the younger children, I applied the frosting, and they put on the candies.


They were a lot of fun to make, and looked quite cute on the plate. Normally, after reading stories like A Plump and Perky Turkey, we don't want to eat turkey, but these guys were a just too plump and perky to resist.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

Annette W. said...

You seriously have made candy corn before???

WOW!

These are really cute! The chocolate icing sure is easier than coming up with special little candies.

Ticia said...

yum, yum,yum. Love the cookie turkey.

Michelle said...

So cute, we will have to try these for thanksgiving! I can't wait to check out the book too! Thanks for linking up :0)

I added the link to the list for you ;)

sbswtp said...

I love it!!! They look so good :)

Brimful Curiosities said...

For some reason, I bet those turkeys will not be able to avoid being eaten!

The girl who painted trees said...

Too cute!

http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

Vanessa said...

These are adorable! We just made some similar ones using oreos and chocolate icing to make the candy corn stick--it was fun to make them, but not as fun as licking the icing.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Every second project of StArt this week features turkeys, but yours are the yummiest. I can see why your children couldn't resist - what a fun it is to be able to gobble up your turkey whole.

Jeanette said...

How fun! My son helped me make cookies this week and he has been asking to make more ever since. Maybe we will have to give these a try.

Jenny said...

Those are so cute!

Cassie said...

Those look so yummy!