Thursday, December 17, 2009

stART - Too Many Toys

***Sorry about the lack of paragraph spacing in this post. Blogger, and I are not getting along today :) ***

The book we read, today, for stART, a story and art link up hosted by A Mommy's Adventures, was Too Many Toys by David Shannon.

I was doing a little blog hopping this weekend, and ran into a review of this book, by a guest poster at No Time For Flashcards. My library had a copy on hand, so I checked it out the next day, thinking it would be a good one for the kids. It is, but even more importantly, it's a good one for all of us parents of today, especially at this time of year.
The little boy in the story, is not greedy. His parents have not deliberately spoiled him. The toys he has are not bad, in fact many are even educational. And, it's not that he doesn't appreciate them, he does - he plays with them constantly, and even remembers who gave them to him. He just has too many. Sound familiar? While his family's intentions in giving him the toys, games, paint sets, musical instruments, and books, were good - it turns out they were really fueling his materialism, more than his creativity.
By the last page of the book, the reader (and by this I mean the parent reading the book out loud), is reminded, that no matter how many great toys there are out there, nothing beats a child's imagination for pure, and simple fun, as any parent who has ever watched their child playing with a cardboard box, really already knows.
So, after reading the book to the children today, I gave them boxes of their own, and left them alone to create, imagine, and play.


I would show you all of their finished works of art, except that they took them to their rooms, which look a lot like the little boy's room in the story - too many toys, indeed!

It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

Sandra said...

I think that sounds like a book my sons and I need to read. I really enjoyed your book review and the book activity your children did.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Too many toys is one of my favorites. Love the dialog between the mother and son. Of course the ending is the best!

Our Little Family said...

What an awesome lesson! I'll totally have to look for that book.

Rebecca said...

Very creative idea! However i thought you were going to say they used the boxes to get rid of some of their toys since they have so many. Hahaha!

silly eagle books said...

This is a great idea--it looks like a great book, too. I did a post on a "day without toys" in November.

http://www.sillyeaglebooks.com/2009/11/day-without-toys-teaching-thankfulness.html

Didn't turn out how I expected, but was still good fun.

Debbie said...

We all need to reminded of this. What a cute way of exploring with your child!

Ticia said...

I so should find this book. I'd love to read it.

Kim @ Life of a Modern Mom said...

This looks like a great book. I am adding it to my library list. Boxes are so fun, I'm always amazed at all the ideas a kid can come up with. Happy Holidays!

sbswtp said...

This sounds like a great book and I really like your idea!! Ryleigh loves to play with boxes...more than most of her toys I think :)

Michelle said...

This sounds like a great book!! I will have to check the library for it. Thank you so much for sharing. I am so glad you were able to link up to stART this week :0)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I so need to find this book after the holidays. I already cringe at the thought of so many new toys coming in. Luckily I got daughter to donate a few bulky toys that were taking a lot of space. And I agree - boxes are great for play and creativity.